RACINE, Wis., Oct. 3, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- American life today is busier than ever before1 and as a result, we've learned to live life in a constant hectic state2. People today are doing more but feeling less3, and while consumers know that scent can have a powerful impact on their emotions, a new study4 by Glade® shows that consumers undervalue the positive connection that scent can have on our daily lives.
The survey, designed to uncover the facts behind scent and emotion, found that nearly half of people surveyed (44 percent) say if they had to lose one of their five senses it would be smell. Yet more than four out of five (81 percent) say they know from experience that scent can have a positive effect on their mood. In an effort to help bridge this gap and reawaken consumers to the value that scent can bring to their lives, the new Glade® campaign is encouraging everyone to take a moment from their hectic schedules to stop and smell the roses.
"Scent provides us with an opportunity to feel more, more often – taking notice of how the smells around us impact our everyday life is a gift we can give ourselves to help us take a break from our fast-paced lives and savor the moment and the people, places and things we love," says Rachel Herz, Ph.D., who has been researching the intersection of smell, emotion, perception, motivated behavior and cognition since 1990 and is the author of The Scent of Desire: Discovering Our Enigmatic Sense of Smell.
As the worldwide leader in home fragrance5, Glade® knows that our sense of smell helps unlock a variety of positive emotions. In fact, the survey found that among the 84 percent for whom scent triggers memories, scents allow us to tap into emotion by enabling us to re-experience the joy of a specific place (78 percent), person (77 percent) or event (72 percent).
"As the study revealed, people's willingness to give up their sense of smell validates the idea behind the new Glade® campaign. Nearly everyone knows that scent provides great feelings, memories and motivations but many people don't fully appreciate the value their sense of smell contributes to their quality of life," explained Herz.
Vivid Scents, Vivid Senses
There is a clear benefit to taking the time to stop and pay attention to how smells can inspire feelings and emotions and additional research suggests that smells can actually have a positive effect on our moods. For example, Americans say that the smell of baking bread (72 percent) and freshly laundered clothes (70 percent) inspires happiness in their daily lives.
Other scents that evoke the strongest sense of happiness include:
- Briny smell of the seashore (66 percent)
- Fresh natural smell of the ground after a spring rain (65 percent)
- Tang of a fresh-cut orange (63 percent)
- Sweet bouquet of apple cinnamon (62 percent)
- Warm scent of vanilla (60 percent)
- Decadent smell of chocolate (59 percent)
Bring Home the Inspiration
"The inspiration for Glade® fragrances and products comes from the spectrum of positive feelings that fragrances evoke," says Kelly M. Semrau, Senior Vice President – Global Corporate Affairs, Communication and Sustainability at SC Johnson. "As an industry leader in home fragrance, we know the value that scent can bring which is why we work to ensure that our products can help make any home more enjoyable."
- The chic new look of the Glade® Sense & Spray® Automatic Freshener with a 360-degree design is a revamped staple to the Glade® product portfolio and automatically freshens the air with a burst of scent as you walk by.
- The manufacturer suggested retail price for the Glade® Sense & Spray® Automatic Freshener starter kit is $7.99 and refills are available for $3.49 each.
- New Glade® Wax Melts fragrances are blended with high quality essential oils that fill even the largest rooms with scents that linger – adding ambiance to any occasion from quiet weeknights with family to holiday gatherings.
- The manufacturer suggested retail price for the Glade® Wax Warmer is $10.99 and refills in 13 different fragrances are available for $3.49 each.
- The new Glade® PlugIns® Scented Oil Customizables™ Warmer offers alternating Glade® fragrances that can help enhance any moment with a fragrance experience suited to your personal scent style. The product features a removable and decorative faceplate cover with a taupe leaf design. The manufacturer suggested retail price for the Glade® PlugIns® Scented Oil Customizables™ Warmer products are as follows:
- Glade® Customizables™ Scented Oil Warmer Starter Kit - $7.99 each
- Glade® Scented Oil 2ct Refills - $5.49 each
- Glade® Customizables™ Scented Oil Warmer Holder - $3.49 each
About SC Johnson
SC Johnson is a family company dedicated to innovative, high-quality products, excellence in the workplace and a long-term commitment to the environment and the communities in which it operates. Based in the USA, the company is one of the world's leading manufacturers of household cleaning products and products for home storage, air care, pest control and shoe care. It markets such well-known brands as GLADE®, KIWI®, OFF!®, PLEDGE®, RAID®, SCRUBBING BUBBLES®, SHOUT®, WINDEX® and ZIPLOC® in the U.S. and beyond, with brands marketed outside the U.S. including AUTAN®, TANA®, BAMA®, BAYGON®, BRISE®, KABIKILLER®, KLEAR®, MR MUSCLE®, and RIDSECT®. The 127-year-old company, that generates $9 billion in sales, employs nearly 13,000 people globally and sells products in virtually every country around the world. www.scjohnson.com
*HI-RES IMAGES AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST
Video with caption: "Inspired by the best feelings in the world™, Glade® is encouraging people to smell, feel and share their best feelings by introducing a variety of new products that suit any personality and can enhance any room – because nothing makes us feel quite like scent can. Tell us what inspires you. #bestfeelings." Video available at: http://youtu.be/XeEyrqJP5aU
Image with caption: "Dr. Rachel Herz, world-renowned expert on the psychology of smell, introduces the new Glade campaign at a dinner party that explored the connection between scent and emotion on Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2013 in New York City." Image available at: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20131003/CG91388
1"86% of U.S. men and 67% of women work more than 40 hours a week, and American families worked an average of 11 hours more per week in 2006 than they did in 1979." - Center for American Progress
2"Most people are frazzled by their daily lives and have small moments of balance in the day/week. They've learned to live in a frazzled state." - DaVinci "CHI" Research
3"The ability to think about what is not happening is a cognitive achievement that comes at an emotional cost." - Stumbling on Happiness
4As part of a research study to uncover insights for SC Johnson's Glade®, Edelman Berland conducted a 15 minute telephone survey among a nationally-representative sample of 1,010 American adults. This survey was fielded between September 10 - 12, 2013.The margin of error for this study (n=1,010) is +/- 3.1%
5Nielsen-affiliated databases for Home Fragrance covering North American, European, South American, and Asian markets for the 12 months ending June 2013.
SOURCE SC Johnson