"The continued increase in average connection speeds is a reassuring trend as online retailers prepare for the busy holiday shopping season," said David Belson, editor of Akamai's State of the Internet Report. "However, recent Internet disruptions caused by everything from government-ordered blackouts to a lone monkey sparking a widespread outage are reminders of the many factors that can affect access to and use of the Internet that is so often taken for granted."
Highlights from Akamai's Second Quarter, 2016 State of the Internet Report:
Global Average Connection Speeds and Global Broadband Connectivity
- Global average connection speed decreased 2.3% from the first quarter of 2016 to 6.1 Mbps, a 14% increase year over year.
- Global average peak connection speed increased 3.7% to 36.0 Mbps in the second quarter, rising 2.5% year over year.
- Global 10 Mbps broadband adoption rate grew 0.7% quarter over quarter, but 15 Mbps and 25 Mbps broadband adoption rates fell 0.8% and 2.1%, respectively.
IPv4 and IPv6
- The number of unique IPv4 addresses connecting to the Akamai Intelligent Platform was just over 800 million, which is 1% less than the first quarter of 2016.
- Belgium remained the clear global leader in IPv6 adoption with 38% of its connections to Akamai occurring over IPv6, up 5.1% from the previous quarter.
- Cable and wireless/mobile providers continued to drive the largest volumes of IPv6 requests, with Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile and Sky Broadband topping the list with 74%, 61% and 56% of their requests to Akamai being made over IPv6 in their regions, respectively.
- Average mobile connection speeds ranged from a high of 23.1 Mbps in the United Kingdom to a low of 2.2 Mbps in Venezuela.
About the Akamai State of the Internet Report
Each quarter, Akamai publishes a "State of the Internet – Connectivity" report. This report includes data gathered from across the Akamai Intelligent Platform about attack traffic, broadband adoption, mobile connectivity and other relevant topics concerning the Internet and its usage, as well as trends seen in this data over time. For additional information on the metrics in the report and how they are analyzed, please visit http://akamai.me/sotimetrics. To learn more and to access the archive of past reports, please visit https://www.akamai.com/us/en/our-thinking/state-of-the-internet-report/global-state-of-the-internet-connectivity-reports.jsp. To download the figures from the Second Quarter, 2016 State of the Internet Report, please visit: http://wwwns.akamai.com/soti/soti_q216_figures.zip.
As the global leader in Content Delivery Network (CDN) services, Akamai makes the Internet fast, reliable and secure for its customers. The company's advanced web performance, mobile performance, cloud security and media delivery solutions are revolutionizing how businesses optimize consumer, enterprise and entertainment experiences for any device, anywhere. To learn how Akamai solutions and its team of Internet experts are helping businesses move faster forward, please visit www.akamai.com or blogs.akamai.com, and follow @Akamai on Twitter.
Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20100225/AKAMAILOGO
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/global-average-connection-speed-increases-14-percent-year-over-year-according-to-akamais-second-quarter-2016-state-of-the-internet-report-300335978.html
SOURCE Akamai Technologies, Inc.