NEW YORK, Sept. 27, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- This week, national and global leaders in the worlds of art, culture, business, education and government will converge on China Institute to recognize its outstanding contribution and leadership in educating Americans about China, on the 90th anniversary of its establishment. The Institute will host a series of commemorative events with distinguished guests and friends of the Institute, including:
- Chinese Consulate General in New York, Qiyue Zhang
- New York State Senator, Daniel Squadron
- Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman, Bob Chapek
- IMAX Corporation CEO, Richard L. Gelfond
- Chinese haute fashion couturiere, Guo Pei
- Metropolitan Museum of Art – Department of Asian Art Chairman, Mike Hearn
- Bank of China USA President, CEO and Chairman, CGCC, Xu Chen
- Citigroup Vice Chairman, Jay Collins
- Pacific American Corp. Vice Chairman and CEO, Guoqing Chen
- China Construction America President, Ning Yuan
The Institute has long played a key role in fostering appreciation and exchange between the US and China for 90 years—including receiving Chinese President Xi Jinping on his first official US visit in Fall 2015.
"The support of high-profile leaders from around the globe reinforces China Institute's mission to connect members of the New York community, and beyond, to China in a meaningful way," said James Heimowitz, president of China Institute. "It also signifies a growing recognition of the Institute's impact and key role as a convener of influential individuals and organizations on China. Now established in our new downtown home, we hope the community will continue to engage with us and explore all we have to offer for everyone interested in China."
This week, China Institute will host distinguished guests for a series of celebratory events, including:
- Ribbon Cutting Ceremony – Dignitaries, executives, artists and other leaders from around the globe will join China Institute in commemorating the public opening of its downtown headquarters.
- Gallery Grand Opening – The world-renowned China Institute Gallery will re-open its doors with an exhibition featuring work from Six Dynasties China, coinciding with the Gallery's 50-year anniversary.
- Exclusive Breakfast with Guo Pei – Top Chinese couturiere Guo Pei, designer of the iconic golden gown Rihanna wore to the 2015 Annual Met Gala, will discuss her personal journey to becoming China's premiere haute couturiere, with some of her iconic designs on view.
- 90th Anniversary Gala – The Institute's annual benefit gala will honor Bob Chapek, Chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, Richard L. Gelfond, CEO of the IMAX Corporation, and Guo Pei, the Chinese couturiere whose designs were prominently featured in China: Through the Looking Glass: the best-attended exhibition in the history of The Metropolitan Museum's Costume Institute. The gala will also feature a musical and dance performance by Peking Opera and hip hop group Luxe Shine, and their first performance in the US.
About China Institute
China Institute advances a deeper understanding of China through programs in education, culture, business and art with the belief that cross-cultural understanding strengthens our global community.
Founded in 1926 by a group of American and Chinese educators, China Institute in America is the oldest bicultural, non-profit organization in America to focus exclusively on China. The organization promotes the appreciation of Chinese heritage, and provides the historical context for understanding contemporary China. Programs, activities, courses and seminars are offered on the visual and performing arts, culture, history, music, philosophy, language and literature for the general public, children and teachers, as well as for business.
With new program offerings across each of its key pillars – Arts and Culture, Education and Business – the Institute is an ever-more dynamic gateway to China.
For more information, visit: www.chinainstitute.org
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/global-leaders-converge-on-china-institute-to-recognize-90-years-of-outstanding-contribution-and-leadership-in-advancing-understanding-about-china-300334510.html
SOURCE China Institute