Golden Seeds Closes on $26.5 Million for Second Venture Capital Fund
Capital for early stage high growth companies led by women entrepreneurs
NEW YORK, Dec. 20, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Golden Seeds closed its second fund with $26.5 million in committed capital for investments in early stage, high growth companies across at least three sectors, including technology, life sciences and consumer goods. The fund already boasts eight portfolio companies:
- AboutOne – online household management system
- Cognition Therapeutics – drug discovery for Alzheimer's disease
- Hatsize – cloud-based training and demonstrations of complex technologies
- LARK – sleep system that helps you wake better, and sleep better too
- Open Road Integrated Media – digital publisher and multimedia content company
- RuMe – manufacturer and distributor of fair trade reusable fashion items
- Style for Hire – national network of personal stylists trained by celebrity Stacy London
- TextureMedia – social media platform connecting the textured hair community
"This capital gives us a critical base to invest and support the excellent companies we are seeing," said Jo Ann Corkran, Managing Director and Lead Partner of Golden Seeds Fund 2 LP. "We were pleased to find investors across the country who support our investment thesis," said Lynn Polakoff Baine, Golden Seeds Managing Director, who led the fund-raising effort for the partnership.
Consistent with Golden Seeds' seven year track record, Fund 2 invests in women entrepreneurs where one woman in the C-Suite with significant equity meets the definition. "Typically, our companies have a woman founder and CEO, but truly it is gender diversity we are investing in," said Stephanie Hanbury-Brown, Managing Director and Golden Seeds' Founder. "In some cases, such as Cognition Therapeutics, Dr. Susan Catalano, the Founder and Chief Scientific Officer, has teamed up with a male CEO with significant industry experience," confirmed Peggy Wallace, Managing Director, who partnered with Hanbury-Brown in the firm's first fund.
Members of the General Partnership's investment committee are: Jo Ann Corkran, Jim Estill, Stephanie Hanbury-Brown, Dr. Nada Jain, Kathryn Swintek, Tim O'Neill, Peggy Wallace and Joan Zief.
About Golden Seeds
SOURCE Golden Seeds
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.