Good Technology's Q4 2012 Device Activation Report Shows Apple Continues to Dominate the Enterprise
iOS Activations Capture 77 Percent of all Activations while Android Makes Notable Gains in Tablet Activations
SUNNYVALE, Calif., Feb. 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Good Technology™, the leader in secure enterprise mobility, today released its Q4 2012 Device Activation Report. The report details smartphone and tablet devices activated amongst Good's enterprise customers, which include half of the FORTUNE 100™. The full report, which can be viewed in PDF or Roambi Flow, provides a breakdown of smartphone and tablet activations among Good's enterprise customers to uncover notable changes and trends in device and mobile operating system preference and usage within corporations.
This quarter's report showed a clear preference for iOS devices, which accounted for 77 percent of all activations and captured eight of the top ten spots on the most popular device list this quarter. While Android activations dropped 6.3 percent as compared to Q4 2011, they still accounted for 22.7 percent of all activations for the quarter, which were primarily driven by Android tablets. Windows Phone devices came in a distant third for the quarter, capturing just 0.5 percent of overall activations.
"CIOs today are able to realize increased productivity by supporting a diverse set of mobile products, while retaining security and control, and still provide their employee consumers with product choice," said Christy Wyatt, CEO and President, Good Technology. "We continue to see more enterprise customers extending the accessibility of mobile applications to a broader employee population within their organizations."
Additional report findings include:
- iOS platform activations rose 8.5 percent year-over-year, growing from 71 percent in Q4 of 2011 to 77 percent in Q4 2012.
- The iPhone 5 was the most popular device in Q4 of 2012, representing 32 percent of all activations for the quarter.
- Although the iPad continues to lead tablet activations with 93.2 percent, Android tablets are gaining momentum. Android jumped from 2.7 percent to 6.8 percent of all tablet activations over the course of 2012.
- When looking at types of devices activated, Android smartphones slightly outpaced iPads in October and finished the quarter only a fraction behind at 21 percent of all activations in Q4 2012.
- The most popular Android tablets amongst Good's enterprise customers included the Samsung Galaxy Tab, followed by the Motorola Droid Xyboard, Samsung Galaxy Note, Asus Transformer, Kindle Fire and Motorola Xoom.
- The Samsung Galaxy SIII was the most popular Android device, capturing six percent of total device activations for the quarter.
- The financial services industry led enterprise device activations during the quarter, followed by business and professional services. Together, these two industries made up more than half of the activations reported in Q4.
- Wholesale & retail, manufacturing and energy & utilities all moved up in the rankings for overall activations by sector, as well as iPad activations over last year.
As demonstrated by Good's most recent State of BYOD report, many of the largest, most security-conscious and highly regulated companies are already adopting BYOD, while the number of organizations that have no plans to support BYOD is rapidly shrinking. Therefore, Good believes the number and types of devices that corporations enable for use at work will grow as IT organizations look to reduce costs and increase employee productivity by allowing employees to use the mobile devices and applications they prefer in order to work smarter.
About the Good Device Activation Report
The more than 4,000 customers represented in this survey include bellwether companies – from financial services, healthcare, manufacturing, energy & utilities, legal, government, and high tech –making this data report a benchmark for enterprise mobility adoption. The metrics cited in this report are generated directly from Good's internal data, as aggregated from all devices activated across Good's worldwide customer base.
About Good Technology
Good Technology transforms enterprises by mobilizing employees through secure, collaborative workflows. Good also empowers IT to protect and manage mobile apps, devices, and enterprise data. Good's Secure Collaboration solutions include Good's applications for email, PIM, browser, file sharing, instant messaging, as well as a broad ecosystem of third party applications. Good's Enterprise Mobility Management Platform allows enterprises and ISVs to build, manage, analyze and secure mobile applications. Good Technology's customers include more than 4,000 organizations worldwide, including half of the FORTUNE 100™, eight of the top 10 financial services, five of the top 10 healthcare, and leaders in retail, telecommunications, manufacturing, legal, and government. Learn more at www.good.com.
©2013 Good Technology Corporation and its related entities. All use is subject to license terms posted at www.good.com/legal. All rights reserved. GOOD, GOOD TECHNOLOGY, the GOOD logo, GOOD FOR ENTERPRISE, GOOD FOR GOVERNMENT, GOOD FOR YOU, GOOD DYNAMICS, SECURED BY GOOD, GOOD MOBILE MANAGER, GOOD CONNECT, GOOD SHARE, GOOD VAULT, and GOOD DYNAMICS APPKINETICS are trademarks of Good Technology Corporation and its related entities. All third-party trademarks, trade names, or service marks may be claimed as the property of their respective owners. Good's technology and products are protected by issued and pending U.S. and foreign patents.
iPad and iPhone are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. Android is a trademark of Google Inc. ©2013.
 A Roambi Flow version of the Q4 2012 Device Activation Report can also be viewed on an iPad and iPad mini at http://www.roambi.com/good-technology-q4-activation-report. Roambi Flow provides the ability to create and present immersive, magazine-style publication on the information consumer's iPad by bending engaging analytics with other rich content – anytime, anywhere.
Catherine Edwards, Sr. Director of Corporate Communications
Good Technology Corporation
430 N. Mary Avenue, Suite 200
Sunnyvale, CA 94085
SOURCE Good Technology
More by this Source
Good Technology to Acquire BoxTone
Feb 23, 2014, 11:00 ET
Good Technology Democratizes Secure Mobility with Broader Portfolio and New Partnerships
Feb 23, 2014, 11:00 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.