BOSTON and CAMBRIDGE, Mass., Sept. 14, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Powering Precision Health 2016, the nation's first biomedical innovation-driven summit, is thrilled to announce that Governor Charlie Baker of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts issued a proclamation declaring "Precision Health Awareness Week" to be observed the week of September 26th through September 30th, 2016. The observance of Precision Health is the first in the nation. To kick off the week, the inaugural Powering Precision Health 2016 summit will be held on September 26th at the Boston Marriott Cambridge.
"Innovative research and big data are energizing a proposition that today's healthcare can be radically improved and made more accessible and economical to guide our healthy living," said Kevin Hrusovsky, Founder and Chairman, Powering Precision Health Summit, and Executive Chairman and CEO, Quanterix. "This unique combination of deep science and disruptive technology -- the digitizing of medicine – is what fuels the precision health movement."
The Governor's proclamation reads:
- Whereas The health and wellness of all people throughout our Commonwealth are of utmost importance to the Commonwealth's families and communities; and
- Whereas chronic disease including cancer, heart disease, stroke, Alzheimer's, kidney disease, and diabetes are some of the leading causes of death in the Commonwealth; and
- Whereas awareness and education about precision health including life style habits, environmental factors, health screens, dietary choices and personalized treatments can impact health, longevity and disease; and
- Whereas the Commonwealth's physicians, researchers, innovators, and patients are collaborating to advance how we treat, prevent, and diagnose disease using precision health data driven approaches and digital health technologies; and
- Whereas precision health aims to prevent disease from occurring by promoting health and wellness strategies based on an individual's unique genetic makeup and environmental factors, which can reduce healthcare costs, versus the traditional approach managing sick care,
- Now, Therefore, I, Charles D. Baker, Governor of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, do hereby proclaim the week of September 26th to the 30th, 2016, to be, PRECISION HEALTH AWARENESS WEEK.
In January 2016, Governor Baker launched a comprehensive Digital Health Initiative, bringing public, private, academic and healthcare leaders together to build a stronger and more connected digital health ecosystem, ultimately aimed at creating jobs and making advances in improving patient care and lowering health care costs.
"The more we can foster cross-pollination between tech and medicine, the better chance we have to improve patient outcomes across a wide range of diseases and conditions," explained Dr. Krishna Yeshwant, GV General Partner, who serves on the steering committee for the summit.
Powering Precision Health summit aims to provide a platform for sharing some of the world's leading research and approaches to precision health, including new scientific discoveries that can detect disease long before symptoms are present, driving a proactive healthcare system focused on supporting healthy living. The foremost authorities in neurology, oncology, and cardiology will take the stage to lend their expertise, inform, and educate about the latest developments in precision health. The summit is guided by an all-star steering committee: http://www.pphsummit.com/steering-committee.html
"Massachusetts is the undisputed leader and epicenter for life sciences, with hundreds of companies developing cutting-edge research that both adds value to the healthcare system, and improves patient lives," said Robert K. Coughlin, President & CEO of Massachusetts Biotechnology Council, a 750+ member life sciences trade association. "We maintain a firm goal and commitment to precision health that is research based, and patient driven."
The Official Sponsors of Powering Precision Health 2016 are: Quanterix, a leader in the transformation of healthcare through its ultrasensitive single molecule testing capabilities, Cellaria Biosciences, innovator of breakthrough oncology models that ultimately lead the research community to more personalized therapeutics, and MassBio, a not-for-profit trade association committed to advancing Massachusetts' leadership in the life sciences to grow the industry, add value to the healthcare system, and improve patient lives.
About Powering Precision Health Summit
Powering Precision Health 2016 is the nation's first summit dedicated to bringing the world's leading physicians, scientists, innovators, investors and patient advocates together to unveil their latest research on new biomarkers that are revolutionizing precision health. Founded by Kevin Hrusovsky, a widely acclaimed thought leader and visionary in life sciences and personalized medicine, PPHSummit is an executive think tank of researchers and clinicians working together to transform healthcare. Addressing a wide spectrum of therapeutic areas -- neurology, cardiology, oncology, inflammation and infectious disease -- PPHSummit unveils groundbreaking approaches to disease prevention, early diagnosis, and NexGen treatments. PPHSUMMIT features an unprecedented keynote lineup of dignitaries from Harvard Medical School, Mass General Hospital, MIT, Brigham and Women's, Tufts, Whitehead Institute, Boston University and more. Join the conversation on social media using hashtag #PPHSUMMIT. For more information: Website www.pphsummit.com, Twitter @PPHSUMMIT, Facebook @PPHC2016, LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/powering-precision-health-2016, Email: email@example.com.
Contact: Heidi Creighton, 978-302-1198978-302-1198 , firstname.lastname@example.org
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/governor-baker-issues-proclamation-for-precision-health-awareness-week-300328085.html
SOURCE Powering Precision Health Summit