Governor Corbett Announces Finalists for 2014 Teacher of the Year
HARRISBURG, Pa., May 2, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Governor Tom Corbett and Secretary of Education Ron Tomalis today announced the 12 educators who have been selected as finalists for Pennsylvania's 2014 Teacher of the Year.
"I congratulate these outstanding educators for being selected as finalists to compete for this award," Corbett said. "These individuals represent the thousands of excellent educators in classrooms across the state who are dedicated to educating children."
The finalists are:
- Daryl Balseiro, Big Spring School District, Cumberland County
- Amy Alleman Burke, Cumberland Valley School District, Cumberland County
- Erin Cernuska, Bellefonte Area School District, Centre County
- Linda Coll, Northern Lebanon School District, Lebanon County
- Tracey Fritch, Rose Tree Media School District, Delaware County
- Carol Aten Frow, Belle Vernon Area School District, Westmoreland County
- Lori Gallagher, Hatboro-Horsham School District, Montgomery County
- Anthony Grisillo, Rose Tree Media School District, Delaware County
- Nicola Hipkins, Bethel Park School District, Allegheny County
- Jen Klobucar, Yough School District, Westmoreland County
- Nicole Miletto, Hatboro-Horsham School District, Montgomery County
- Kyle Norman, Brockway Area School District, Jefferson County
The finalists were nominated by students, parents, colleagues and members of the community who want to recognize their achievements both in and outside the classroom.
"These individuals and their colleagues are committed to encouraging their students to excel," Tomalis said. "Each and every day across Pennsylvania, teachers play a pivotal role in preparing our children for academic and personal success. They are to be applauded for their hard work and dedication."
The finalists must be prepared to effectively carry out the duties of the state's Teacher of the Year, which includes being Pennsylvania's nominee for National Teacher of the Year.
Pennsylvania's 2013 Teacher of the Year is Ryan Devlin, who teaches 11th-grade British literature, 8th-grade computer science and two senior-high electives: creative writing and digital media in Brockway Area School District, Jefferson County. Devlin was named Teacher of the Year in December 2012.
Pennsylvania's Teacher of the Year program is co-sponsored by the state Department of Education and the Pennsylvania chapter of the National State Teacher of the Year, which was founded in 1995.
For additional information about Pennsylvania's Teacher of the Year program, visit http://www.pdesas.org/instruction/teacheroftheyear/.
Media contact: Tim Eller, 717-783-9802
SOURCE Pennsylvania Office of the Governor
More by this Source
Pennsylvania Governor Corbett Signs Comprehensive Transportation Legislation
Nov 25, 2013, 10:05 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.