Grants Give Hundreds of California Families a Jumpstart on Better Health and Nutrition
Six non-profit organizations in California receive Active Healthy Living Grants from the Coca-Cola Foundation to support healthy lifestyles
LOS ANGELES, July 13, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Hundreds of families across California are benefitting from unique enhancements to local health and wellness programs made possible through Active Healthy Living Grants awarded by The Coca-Cola Foundation. Since January 2011, the Foundation has awarded a total of $100,000 to six non-profit organizations in California dedicated to family-oriented physical activity and nutrition education.
"For decades, Coca-Cola has been committed to supporting exercise, physical activity and nutrition education programs. We are focused on improving the quality of life in the communities where our consumers live, work and play," said Terry Fitch, Coca-Cola Refreshments West Region Senior Vice President. "By providing these grants, we can partner with community organizations to continue encouraging healthy, active lifestyles for years to come."
The California organizations and programs that received Active Healthy Living grants from the Foundation include:
- Third Street Community Center (San Jose): Received $10,000 for its "Leading Strong and Healthy Lives" initiative, a program that provides 60 San Jose families with weekly physical activity classes, nutrition education courses and cooking workshops over a 10-month period.
- Richmond District Neighborhood Center (San Francisco): Received $25,000 for its 10-week "Passport to Healthy Living" program, which will be offered to 900 children at several schools in the Richmond District as well as city parks and recreation centers.
- AltaMed Health Services Corporation (Orange County): Received $15,000 for "Salsa, Sabor y Salud," an 8-week program that aimed at educating 50 Latino families about proper nutrition and fun ways to exercise, like dancing the Salsa.
- Boys & Girls Club of Fontana (San Bernardino County): Received $10,000 for its "Triple Play Healthy Habits" program that reaches 745 underserved youth with fitness challenges, sports instructions, free play, tournament play, group games, one-on-one coaching, healthy snacks and nutritional information.
- California Aquatic Therapy & Wellness Center, Inc. (Long Beach): Received $20,000 for its "Moovin' and Groovin'" program, which has offered 30 low-income families therapeutic swim lessons and recreational activities as well as nutrition and health education classes.
- Queenscare Family Clinics (Los Angeles): Received $20,000 for "e.n.e.r.g.y.," an 8-week, interactive, family-centered program that has provided 700 low-income youth and their families with the tools to prevent and treat obesity and teach the importance of healthy eating and physical activity.
In addition to California, the Coca-Cola Foundation has awarded an additional $200,000 since last year to other non-profit organizations in New York and Texas to support physical activity and nutrition education programs. This is the second year the Foundation has awarded Active Healthy Living grants to organizations around the country and, since its inception, has contributed more than $340 million to help build sustainable communities worldwide through initiatives focused on water stewardship, active healthy living, community recycling, education, arts and culture and civic affairs.
The Coca-Cola Company
The Coca-Cola Company (NYSE: KO) is the world's largest beverage company, refreshing consumers with more than 500 sparkling and still brands. Led by Coca-Cola, the world's most valuable brand, the Company's portfolio features 15 billion dollar brands including Diet Coke, Fanta, Sprite, Coca-Cola Zero, vitaminwater, Powerade, Minute Maid, Simply and Georgia. Globally, we are the No. 1 provider of sparkling beverages, juices and juice drinks and ready-to-drink teas and coffees. Through the world's largest beverage distribution system, consumers in more than 200 countries enjoy the Company's beverages at a rate of 1.7 billion servings a day. With an enduring commitment to building sustainable communities, our Company is focused on initiatives that reduce our environmental footprint, support active, healthy living, create a safe, inclusive work environment for our associates, and enhance the economic development of the communities where we operate. For more information about our Company, please visit our website at www.thecoca-colacompany.com.
SOURCE The Coca-Cola Company
More by this Source
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.