Greater Cleveland Flute Society Presents Cleveland Composers Connection Concert, Sunday, May 1, 7 p.m.
CLEVELAND, April 21, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- The Greater Cleveland Flute Society (GCFS) presents its final program of the 2010-2011 season on Sunday, May 1, 2011. The annual Cleveland Composers Connection Concert will be held at 7 p.m. at Christ Episcopal Church, 3445 Warrensville Center Rd., Shaker Heights, Ohio 44122. This event is free and open to the public.
Brian K. Taylor, a Ph.D. candidate in the department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering at Case Western Reserve University, and one of the composers featured on this year's program, said, "One day, while looking around for composers organizations and forums where composers could have their music played, I happened to stumble upon the Greater Cleveland Flute Society's Composers Connection Concert. I usually only have the chance to write for big band or standard jazz instrumentations, so I thought it would be interesting to try writing and arranging exclusively for flute, which I had never done before."
"This concert is an opportunity for local composers to showcase their flute compositions to an interested audience of flutists and fans of new music," said Bonnie Svetlik, president, GCFS. "This concert gives us an opportunity to see firsthand what composers are doing right now, and it's always exciting to see the varying styles of music and how these composers write a piece for this beautiful instrument."
This year's Composers Connection Concert will feature nine works, performed by members of the GCFS board. The composers will introduce and discuss their works prior to their performance.
- When Air is Not Enough for flute and chime -- Larry Baker
- Three Songs Without Words for flute and guitar - New Moon - Spring Rain - Snow Storm -- Monica Houghton
- Available Light for flute and harp -- David Kechley
- Summer's Passing for solo flute -- David Kechley
- Ballade for flute and piano -- Jeffrey Quick
- Pan's Pandora for flute, alto flute, and bass flute -- William F. Rayer
- Espaces Pointilles for flute and electro-acoustic sound -- Tom Lopez
- Spirito Sereno for flute quintet -- Brian K. Taylor
- Allarme Vicino Piazza San Pietro for flute quartet -- Brian K. Taylor
About Greater Cleveland Flute Society
Established in 1997, the Greater Cleveland Flute Society (GCFS) provides opportunities for flutists of all backgrounds to support and learn from one another and guest artists. GCFS programs include recitals, masterclasses and the annual Cleveland Composers Connection concert. Its members include students, adults, teachers, amateur and professional flutists and corporate sponsors. For more information about GCFS, visit www.gcfs.org.
SOURCE Greater Cleveland Flute Society