ARLINGTON, Va., Dec. 11, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- GridPoint, an innovator in comprehensive, data-driven energy management solutions (EMS) that help customers maximize energy and operational savings, today announced the release of its newest e-book "The Energy Manager's Guide to Real-Time Submetering Data." The e-book details industry standards and programs that recognize the importance of submetering as part of a next-generation energy management strategy and provides real-world examples of hidden benefits that enterprises can unlock with submetering.
Guidelines or requirements for submetering and their associated energy efficiency organizations, programs and standards bodies include: ENERGY STAR, administered by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA); the Energy Efficiency Resource Standards (EERS), promoted by the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE); the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification, championed by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC); the new Standard 90.1-2013, published by the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE); and ISO 50001, issued by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO).
Leading industry analysts also reinforce the significance of submetering to a comprehensive energy management strategy. "The next frontier in energy management requires detailed, real-time data, and submetering is the solution," noted Paul Baier, vice president of sustainability consulting and research at Groom Energy. He went on to say, "Control-based energy management systems can only provide a certain level of savings, and traditional utility bill analysis uses information that is simply too dated and too aggregated to make informed operational decisions. Submetering addresses this information gap, providing real-time, granular visibility of energy use that can be used to make changes and provide a significant impact on the bottom line."
In addition to the direct energy savings provided by a traditional energy management system, a next-generation data-driven energy management system integrates equipment-level submetering, big data analytics and cloud computing to unlock seven hidden benefits, including:
- Optimized Equipment Performance: identify unnecessary energy usage, potentially damaging power quality and equipment issues that may drive up energy expenses, shorten the life of critical equipment and lead to excessive maintenance costs;
- Smarter Alarms: use real-time data and historical trend analysis to identify and get notification of critical issues;
- Integrated Sustainability: utilize energy management tools with sustainability technologies, such as solar panels and fuel cells, to hedge against rising energy costs and reduce carbon emissions;
- Dynamic Control: use granular energy and environmental data to automatically adjust facility conditions to maximize savings and occupant comfort;
- Financial Verification: track project results against goals to make data-driven investment decisions and compare utility bills with independent data to monitor bill accuracy;
- Proactive Demand Response and Peak Shaping: determine the best way to shape or shift power and make intelligent control changes to maximize utility program participation benefits; and
- Intelligent Building Design: capture historical equipment-level performance to accurately forecast energy capacity for new buildings and "right-size" equipment accordingly.
To download GridPoint's e-book "The Energy Manager's Guide to Real-Time Submetering Data" and see real-world examples of hidden benefits of submetering, visit GridPoint's website at www.gridpoint.com/submeteringguide.
GridPoint is an innovator in comprehensive, data-driven energy management solutions (EMS) that leverage the power of real-time data collection, big data analytics and cloud computing to maximize energy savings, operational efficiency, capital utilization and sustainability benefits. GridPoint's integrated energy management portfolio of asset-level submetering and monitoring, intelligent control, energy management software and professional services can generate 10-30% energy savings and an 18-36 month payback.
GridPoint solutions are deployed at over 12,000 sites with over 64 billion customer data points collected to date, and 100 million added daily. Customers include 7 of the top 20 quick serve restaurants, 4 of the top 10 casual dining restaurants, 3 of the top 20 convenience store growth chains, 7 of the top 10 retailers by total sales, leading commercial and industrial enterprises and major government and educational institutions. To learn more, visit GridPoint.com, and keep up with the latest GridPoint news via LinkedIn linkedin.com/company/gridpoint and Twitter @gridpoint.