Grindr Releases Best of 2013 Awards, Revealing the Year's Top Gay Icons and Trends and Predictions for 2014 From the Most Wanted Man in the Grindr Cascade to 2013's Biggest Social Blunder, Grindr Guys Have Spoken
LOS ANGELES, Dec. 5, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Grindr, the premier all-male geo-social network app, tapped its massive user base to reveal this year's Best of 2013 Awards. Grindr users from the U.S., U.K. and Australia weighed in on everything from their favorite song, to the gay icon of the year to the biggest comeback of 2013. Grindr guys were also surveyed on their predictions for next year on topics such as 2014's biggest celebrity train wreck, the hottest gadget, and the next celebrity to come out of the closet.
"2013 was another leap forward with gay rights making headline news and more gay characters, story lines and icons integrated into mainstream pop culture," said Grindr CEO and Founder Joel Simkhai, "We're always fascinated to know what's top of mind for our Grindr guys and this year our users loved Wentworth Miller's coming out, really want to see Channing Tatum in the Grindr cascade and largely felt that Vladimir Putin was the biggest enemy of the LGBT community in 2013."
The winners of Grindr's Best of 2013 Awards are:
- Gay icon of the year: Neil Patrick Harris
- Straight ally of the year: Lady Gaga
- Best coming out story: Wentworth Miller
- Enemy of the LGBT community: Vladimir Putin
- Best song of 2013: "Same Love: by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis
- Best movie of 2013: Gravity
- Best TV show on air: "Modern Family"
- Most wanted man in the Grindr cascade: Channing Tatum
- Best comeback of 2013: Netflix
- Social blunders: Miley Cyrus' twerking
- Biggest loss of 2013: Cory Monteith
- Next celebrity to come out: Taylor Lautner
- Hottest gadget of 2014: iPad Air
- Next state/country to legalize gay marriage: Florida
- Next celebrity train wreck: Justin Bieber
- What will become obsolete: Facebook
Grindr users were surveyed between November 14 and November 20, 2013 to cast their votes on the Grindr Best of 2013 Awards.
More than 1.2 million Grindr users log on to the app every day, and exchange 30 million-plus chat messages and two million-plus photos to one another. Grindr users spend about two hours using the app daily, and they log in an average of eight times per day. Up to 300,000 users are logged onto Grindr at any given moment.
Launched in 2009, Grindr is the premier all-male geo-social network that uses location-based technologies to bring together a global community of more than seven million users in 192 countries. Grindr also offers a fully loaded, premium subscription-based service called Grindr Xtra. Grindr is currently available on the iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Android and BlackBerry models. For more information about Grindr, visit Grindr.com or Grindr.com/Press, like us on Facebook at Facebook.com/Grindr, follow us on Twitter at Twitter.com/Grindr and check us out on Instagram.com/Grindr.