Harvard Pilgrim Health Care Upgrades Teradata Integrated Data Warehouse to Power Analytics for Healthcare Reform Focus on consumer engagement and cost containment continues
BOSTON, May 20, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Harvard Pilgrim Health Care (HPHC), a full-service health benefits company headquartered near Boston has expanded its integrated data warehouse (IDW), Teradata (NYSE: TDC) announced today. This upgrade supports their analytics access to increasing volumes of detail data to fuel improved consumer engagement, cost containment, and a new level of data transparency with both providers and patients.
Business users at HPHC access the Teradata data warehouse to analyze terabytes of integrated detail data spanning claims, encounters, members and providers. Using this powerful data asset, they take steps to improve the overall consumer experience, improve the quality of patient care, identify gaps in care and take actions to reduce per capita cost of care.
Harvard Pilgrim has almost 1.2 million members, and a growing network of over 135 hospitals and 28,000 doctors and clinicians. They have been a Teradata customer for over ten years.
"The Affordable Care Act opens the door for us to add members via Health Insurance Exchanges, starting later this year. Our new Teradata platform provides the analytics foundation to help us confidently move into the retail healthcare insurance market," said Ralph Miller, Director of Corporate Information Management, HPHC. "We recently formed a new medical informatics group to spearhead analytics projects that include understanding bundled payments, partnering more closely with providers and creating new wellness programs for our members. This growth in both data and the demand for information is substantial, and Teradata is positioned at the core of our data management and analytics infrastructure."
"Harvard Pilgrim Health Care continues to be a leader in leveraging its growing detailed information assets to produce ever-higher quality of insight and care across its extended community," said John Burke, Teradata industry vice president for financial services, insurance and healthcare. "We recognize the outstanding innovation and operational achievements of the HPHC Information Management team for its effective use of analytic intelligence to meet and exceed the goals of the business."
Teradata's momentum continues in the health care industry as companies invest in high performance data analytics to help them make the best decision possible in the midst of cost pressures, competition forces and market changes driven by health reform.
Teradata's health care customers include BKK (Germany), the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, CHRISTUS Health, Centene, Express Scripts Inc., BCBS of Tennessee, Aurora, Highmark, BCBS of North Carolina, INPS (Italy), Medibank Private (Australia), and many others.
Relevant News Links
- CHRISTUS Health Selects Teradata and Claraview for Timely Analytic Insight
- BCBS of Tennessee Chooses Teradata - big data analytics will support complex analysis
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Drive Innovation with Teradata Data Warehouse
- Express Scripts use of Teradata – Wall Street Journal Interview with CIO
- Teradata PARTNERS EVENT video: Healthcare Informatics at BCBS North Carolina
- The Hidden Heart of Healthcare Change – Teradata white paper
- WellPoint Discusses Teradata Data Warehouse Appliance – podcast
- Data Modeling in the Healthcare Industry – the power of the Teradata Logical Data Model designed specifically for the Healthcare industry
- Express Scripts uses Teradata to "solve a problem that before seemed impossible."
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota Runs Analytics on Teradata
About Harvard Pilgrim Health Care
Harvard Pilgrim Health Care is a not-for-profit health plan serving more than one million members in New England. Founded in 1969, the health plan has built its reputation on pragmatic innovation with a goal of lowering costs, improving care and enhancing the overall member experience. Harvard Pilgrim is known for its excellent clinical programs, customer service, health improvement strategies and innovative tools that offer consumers greater transparency and empower them to make better decisions about their health care.
Harvard Pilgrim is the #1 private health plan in America again according to an annual ranking of the nation's best health plans by the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA). Harvard Pilgrim is the only private health plan in the nation to be named #1 for member satisfaction and quality of care for nine consecutive years.*
* NCQA's Private Health Insurance Plan Rankings, 2011-13, HMO/POS. NCQA's Health Insurance Plan Rankings 2010-11 – Private. U.S.News/NCQA America's Best Health Insurance Plans 2005-2009 (annual). America's Best Health Insurance Plans is a trademark of U.S.News & World Report. NCQA The State of Health Care Quality 2004. Harvard Pilgrim Health Care of New England, Harvard Pilgrim's New Hampshire affiliate, is the top-ranked plan in New Hampshire and the seventh highest-ranked private health plan in America.
Teradata Corporation (NYSE: TDC) is the world's leading analytic data solutions company, focused on integrated data warehousing, big data analytics, and business applications. Teradata's innovative products and services deliver data integration and business insight to empower organizations to make the best decisions possible for competitive advantage. Visit teradata.com for details.
Get to know Teradata:
Teradata is a trademark or registered trademark of Teradata Corporation in the United States and other countries.
SOURCE Teradata Corporation