HD-PLC Included in NIST SGIP Smart Grid Standards
Kawasaki Microelectronics HD-PLC chips are the first PLC devices that support the IEEE 1901 coexistence protocols
SAN JOSE, Calif., March 6, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Kawasaki Microelectronics today announced that it is first in supporting the IEEE 1901 coexistence protocols that were recently announced by the HD-PLC Alliance. The alliance announced that its Broadband Powerline Communication Technology called HD-PLC IEEE 1901 was approved for inclusion in the NIST Smart Grid Interoperability Panel (SGIP) Catalog of Standards in the United States.
The U.S. National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) initiated the public/private partnership SGIP to coordinate the development of standards for the Smart Grid. The SGIP produces and maintains a Catalog of Standards that are relevant for the development and deployment of a robust, interoperable, and secure Smart Grid.
- Harmonization of power line communication standards identified as SGIP Priority Action Plan 15 (PAP15)
- SGIP approved inclusion of the IEEE 1901 standard PHY and MAC specification for Broadband Powerline Communication and inclusion of NIST IR 7862 (recommends that all PLC devices implement and activate the "coexistence protocol" defined in IEEE 1901 and ITU-T G.9972)
- HD-PLC Alliance provided certification service for coexistence specification Inter-System Protocol (ISP), which is mandatory in the IEEE 1901 standard
- Coexistence protocol also approved as ITU-T G.9972 in June, 2010
- Coexistence requirement of NIST IR 7862, the PLC products used in energy management systems and the consumer PLC products connected on the same Powerline, will not interfere with one another, and will provide secure communication
- HD-PLC IEEE 1901 technology was adopted in the TTC report TR-1043 standard guidelines developed by the Smart House Study Group organized under the Japan Smart Community Alliance (JSCA)
"We are proud that HD-PLC has been standardized by the IEEE as a worldwide B-PLC technology," said Koichi Akeyama, president of Kawaski Microelectronics. "We believe that harmonization among all PLC technologies is key in achieving coexistence, effectiveness and power savings. Energy conservation is good for the people, beneficial to the economy, and crucial for the environment of our planet."
Links to Smart Grid information
Previous Press Releases
The HD-PLC Alliance fosters the deployment of HD-PLC technology, an eco-friendly designed and international standards compliant powerline technology.
The HD-PLC Alliance proposes a global certification program for the IEEE 1901 Standard and IEEE/ITU Coexistence recommended by U.S. NIST SGIP. HD-PLC coexistence certification documents are open not only for alliance members but also for nonmembers and other organizations. For additional information, please visit http://www.hd-plc.org.
About K-micro (Kawasaki Microelectronics America, Inc. a subsidiary of MegaChips Corporation of Japan)
K-micro's innovative ASIC technologies and world-class design support are used in the consumer electronics, computer, office-automation, networking and storage markets. The company is an active participant in industry standards organizations, including PCI Special Interest Group (PCI-SIG), USB Implementers Forum, Universal Plug and Play Forum (UPnP), Serial ATA International Organization SATA-IO, Home Phoneline Networking Alliance (HomePNA), IEEE 1901, IEEE 2030, International Telecommunication Union (ITU), HomeGrid Forum, Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA), High Definition Power Line Communications (HD-PLC), and OCP International Partnership (OCP-IP). K-micro has design centers in San Jose, Taipei, and Tokyo. For more information, contact the company at 408-570-0555, or visit http://www.k-micro.us.
MegaChips Corporation of Japan (1st section of the TSE: 6875) was established in 1990 as an innovative fabless company dedicated to system LSIs with the goal of integrating LSIs and systems knowledge. Their focus is on the development of cutting-edge system LSIs and systems products incorporating original algorithms and architecture in the areas of imaging, audio, and communications, and using the advances they achieve to offer outstanding products and solutions that meet the needs of their clients. For additional information, please visit: http://www.megachips.co.jp/english/index.html
SOURCE Kawasaki Microelectronics
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.