CHICAGO, April 4, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- In 2015, Health Care Service Corporation (HCSC), the nation's largest customer-owned health insurer, collaborated with thousands of community organizations through employee volunteers and financial investments to help prevent and manage heart disease, cancer, diabetes, asthma and other diseases. As noted in the company's Social Responsibility Report (SRR), released today:
- More than 6,300 employees volunteered a record 107,450 hours in local communities throughout Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas, where HCSC operates, resulting in more than $284,000 in matching funds for 265 organizations – a new milestone for the company;
- HCSC invested more than $13 million in nonprofit partners in its Healthy Kids, Healthy Families® initiative and other charitable programs. Healthy Kids, Healthy Families, which teams with nonprofit organizations focused on nutrition, physical activity, disease prevention and management, and supporting safe environments, reached more than 3.2 million children in 2015 and has provided more than 19 million health and wellness services to children and their families in Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas since 2011.
"We have a responsibility to help improve the lives of those in our communities and foster a culture of giving back," said Paula Steiner, HCSC president and chief executive officer. "It's a responsibility we take seriously, and it's woven into the fabric of who we are and what we do at HCSC. We work diligently to implement and support programs that make a meaningful impact and empower our employees to put their time and talents to work for the good of others. Through these tremendous efforts, we strengthen our connections within our communities and are also better able to serve our members."
One of HCSC's signature investments, the "Enhancing Care for Children with Asthma" project, showed a combined 62 percent decrease in hospitalizations and 54 percent decrease in emergency department visits for children in Illinois and New Mexico diagnosed with asthma who received care at a participating clinic in the first two years of the program.1 Based on the positive initial results, HCSC will extend the project in Illinois, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas, expand the initiative into Montana and implement a home-based environmental assessment and modifications component for children with asthma.
Other highlights from this year's report include:
- HCSC was recognized as a 2016 World's Most Ethical Company by the Ethisphere Institute;
- HCSC ranked number seven on Diversity MBA's "50 Out Front Best Places for Women & Diverse Managers to Work"; and
- 10 percent of the company's electricity supply came from renewable sources such as wind or solar panels, saving more than five million kilowatts of electricity.
As in past years, the 2015 report was produced digitally, reducing environmental impact and enabling a more dynamic presentation of community partnerships through videos and social media integration. Readers can instantly share and comment on a specific page of the report through Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter or email the entire report to family, friends and colleagues.
About Health Care Service Corporation
Health Care Service Corporation (HCSC) is the country's largest customer-owned health insurer and fourth largest health insurer overall, with more than 15 million members in its Blue Cross and Blue Shield plans in Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas. A Mutual Legal Reserve Company, HCSC is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association. For more information, please visit HCSC.com, visit our Facebook page or follow us at www.twitter.com/HCSC.
HCSC's Community Investments
Health Care Service Corporation (HCSC) is committed to helping improve the health and well-being of the communities it serves. For nearly 80 years, that commitment has been reflected through social responsibility efforts that include corporate giving, local community relations, volunteerism, diversity and inclusion, ethics and compliance, wellness and sustainability initiatives. As of 2015, our signature initiative, Healthy Kids, Healthy Families has provided more than 19 million health and wellness services to children and their families through support in areas of nutrition, physical activity, disease prevention and management, and supporting safe environments. To learn more about HCSC's social responsibility efforts please visit www.hcsc2015srr.com.
1 Based on assessment of claims data from Blue Cross and Blue Shield members receiving asthma care at least once from 28 participating Illinois and New Mexico clinic locations and who were continuously enrolled from one year before the project to 12 months post intervention (3 years of continuous enrollment).
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/health-care-service-corporation-highlights-record-volunteerism-and-support-for-thousands-of-community-organizations-300244999.html
SOURCE Health Care Service Corporation