NEW YORK, Jan. 27, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Five health care leaders who have made significant advances in improving access to care across the globe will be honored at the Health eVillages 5th Anniversary Celebration on February 23, 2016, at the NASDAQ MarketSite in New York City. The 2016 Heal-the-Villages Award winners have each exhibited the spirit of Health eVillages through the leadership of significant healthcare initiatives. Health eVillages launched five years ago with the conviction that healthcare is a global human right. Currently, the organization provides mobile decision support tools to healthcare professionals working in underserved communities in Haiti, East Africa, India and the rural U.S.
Health eVillages will honor the following healthcare leaders at the event:
- Alex Gorsky will be awarded a Social Entrepreneurship award for his leadership in global healthcare and wellness. As Chairman and CEO, he has led the Johnson & Johnson team in addressing global health, veterans' wellness and other predominant issues in healthcare.
- Patrick J. Kennedy, who will also be presented with a Social Entrepreneurship award, is a former member of the U.S. House of Representatives and the nation's leading political voice on mental illness and addiction. During his 16 years representing Rhode Island in Congress, he fought a national battle to end medical and societal discrimination against mental illness and addiction, and crafted the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act of 2008. Since leaving Congress, he founded the Kennedy Forum, which unites the mental health community, and co-founded One Mind for Research, a global leader in open science collaboration in brain research.
- Wycliffe Omwanda has been named the Frontline Healthcare Hero for his work as a healthcare provider in Lwala, Kenya. Wycliffe serves his community through Health eVillages' partner organization – the Lwala Community Alliance – and is advancing the health of his patients and the whole community by using the Health eVillages model of empowering clinicians through mobile healthcare technology and training.
- James Nardella will be honored with the Community Champion award for exemplifying the Health eVillages mission by increasing access to healthcare for the underserved, and leading the effort to change the health and heart of a needy community in rural Kenya. James recently led the Lwala Community Alliance, a partner of Health eVillages, and is now at The Skoll Foundation, where he serves as a Principal on the Skoll Awards and Community team.
- Jena Lee Nardella will receive the Community Champion award for her work in global healthcare. Jena is the co-founder of Blood:Water, a nonprofit focused on overcoming the HIV/AIDS and water crises in Africa. Through Jena's leadership at Blood:Water, the organization has provided safe water for more than one million people in Africa, giving hope and health to whole communities and saving lives.
"The inaugural Heal-the-Villages award honorees have demonstrated an unwavering commitment to improving healthcare both at home and abroad," said Donato Tramuto, Chairman and Founder of Health eVillages. "Health eVillages is honored to recognize those who advance the well-being of their communities and empower others to do the same."
The Heal-the-Villages Awards ceremony will take place from 5 to 7 p.m. on Tuesday, February 23, following the NASDAQ Closing Bell ceremony, where Health eVillages founder Donato Tramuto will ring the bell. Limited tickets are available; visit http://www.healthevillages.org/5th-anniversary-celebration/ for more information, and follow the organization on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube.
About Health eVillages
Health eVillages, a program of the not-for-profit Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights and Aptus Health, provides state-of-the-art mobile health technology including medical reference and clinical decision-support resources to medical professionals in the most challenging clinical environments around the world. More information can be found at http://www.healthevillages.org/.
Amendola Communications for Health eVillages
Tim Boivin, 224.209.6495
SOURCE Health eVillages