SCOTTSDALE, Ariz., Sept. 23, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Healthcare Trust of America, Inc. (NYSE: HTA) ("HTA") today announced it had acquired 6 on-campus medical office buildings ("MOB") located in South Florida for approximately $63 million. These MOBs total over 428,000 square feet and are located in the Miami – Ft. Lauderdale – West Palm Beach markets. They are all located on-campus with hospitals affiliated with Tenet Healthcare and were approximately 88% occupied at closing.
With this transaction, HTA has now invested approximately $242 million in 2013. This represents a 9% expansion of HTA's asset base.
"We are excited to enter into the South Florida market in a significant way. These are the type of high-quality, on-campus MOBs that we believe will be core, critical real estate as healthcare continues to expand and evolve in this country," stated Chairman and CEO Scott D. Peters. "This is especially true in the South Florida market which continues to grow in population, remains a premier retirement destination, and will significantly benefit from the Affordable Care Act as it unfolds."
This investment is anchored by the Victor Farris Medical Office Building, a 153,000 square foot, class-A MOB in West Palm Beach, Florida. It is located on the Intercostal Waterway and is the only MOB attached to the Good Samaritan Hospital. The Victor Farris MOB was approximately 86% occupied at closing.
It also includes the Palmetto Medical Plaza, a 135,000 square foot, class-A MOB that is attached to the Palmetto General Hospital in the Miami suburb of Hialeah, FL. The Palmetto Medical Plaza was approximately 90% occupied at closing and features a mix of hospital and physician tenancy.
The remaining Florida properties total 140,000 square feet. These include the North Shore Medical Arts building, a multi-tenant medical office building attached to the North Shore Medical Center in Miami, and three properties on the Florida Medical Center campus in Ft. Lauderdale. These properties feature a mix of hospital and physician tenancy.
About Healthcare Trust of America, Inc.
Healthcare Trust of America, Inc. (NYSE: HTA), a publicly traded real estate investment trust, is a fully-integrated, leading owner of medical office buildings. HTA listed its shares of Class A common stock on the New York Stock Exchange on June 6, 2012. HTA is a full-service real estate company focused on acquiring, owning and operating high-quality medical office buildings that are predominantly located on or aligned with campuses of nationally or regionally recognized healthcare systems in the U.S. Since its formation in 2006, HTA has built a portfolio of properties that totals approximately $2.8 billion based on purchase price and is comprised of approximately 13.6 million square feet of gross leasable area located in 27 states. It operates its properties through regional offices in Scottsdale, Charleston, Atlanta, and Indianapolis.
For more information on Healthcare Trust of America, Inc., please visit www.htareit.com.
This press release contains certain forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are based on current expectations, plans, estimates, assumptions and beliefs, including expectations, plans, estimates, assumptions and beliefs about HTA, stockholder value and earnings growth.
The forward-looking statements included in this press release are subject to numerous risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied in the forward-looking statements. Assumptions relating to the foregoing involve judgments with respect to, among other things, future economic, competitive and market conditions and future business decisions, all of which are difficult or impossible to predict accurately and many of which are beyond HTA's control. Although HTA believes that the expectations reflected in such forward-looking statements are based on reasonable assumptions, HTA's actual results and performance could differ materially and in adverse ways from those set forth in the forward-looking statements. Factors which could have a material adverse effect on HTA's operations and future prospects include, but are not limited to:
- changes in economic conditions affecting the healthcare property sector, the commercial real estate market and the credit market;
- competition for acquisition of medical office buildings and other facilities that serve the healthcare industry;
- economic fluctuations in certain states in which HTA's property investments are geographically concentrated;
- retention of HTA's senior management team;
- financial stability and solvency of HTA's tenants;
- supply and demand for operating properties in the market areas in which HTA operates;
- HTA's ability to acquire real properties, and to successfully operate those properties once acquired;
- changes in property taxes;
- legislative and regulatory changes, including changes to laws governing the taxation of REITs and changes to laws governing the healthcare industry;
- fluctuations in reimbursements from third party payors such as Medicare and Medicaid;
- changes in interest rates;
- the availability of capital and financing;
- restrictive covenants in HTA's credit facilities;
- changes in HTA's credit ratings;
- HTA's ability to remain qualified as a REIT; and
- the risk factors set forth in HTA's 2012 Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2012 and in HTA's Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q.
Forward-looking statements speak only as of the date made. Except as otherwise required by the federal securities laws, HTA undertakes no obligation to update any forward-looking statements to reflect the events or circumstances arising after the date as of which they are made. As a result of these risks and uncertainties, readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on the forward-looking statements included in this press release or that may be made elsewhere from time to time by, or on behalf of, HTA.
Financial Contact: Kellie S. Pruitt Chief Financial Officer Healthcare Trust of America, Inc. 480.258.6637 firstname.lastname@example.org
SOURCE Healthcare Trust of America, Inc.