SCOTTSDALE, Ariz., May 2, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Healthcare Trust of America, Inc. (NYSE: HTA), a fully integrated real estate investment trust that focuses on owning and operating high quality medical office buildings in desirable markets across the U.S., announced today that its Board of Directors appointed Mr. Daniel S. Henson as a new Independent director of the Board of Directors. Mr. Henson will replace Steve W. Patterson, who has advised HTA of his intention not to stand for re-election at the Company's 2016 Annual Meeting.
Mr. Henson has worked with General Electric Company ("GE") for over 25 years in various leadership capacities. He last served as an officer of the GE Company and Executive Vice President of GE Capital, overseeing commercial lending and leasing businesses in North America. Prior to that, he served as the GE Company's Chief Marketing Officer, where he was charged with heading up cross-business innovative growth initiatives.
"Dan will be a great addition to our team. He has extensive financial services and real estate experience with significant relationships," said Scott D. Peters, Founder, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. "We believe this addition will further HTA's success in growing our leading enterprise platform in the medical office sector."
Mr. Henson will serve on the Board of Directors for the remainder of the term and will be up for election at the Annual Meeting on July 7, 2016. Mr. Henson brings decades of knowledge and expertise in the financial services industry with extensive transaction structuring and real estate experience, including mergers and acquisitions, as well as forming strategic joint ventures. He has a proven track record in developing and implementing strategic plans and initiatives, while also focusing on organizational development, financial and operational risk management as well as compliance.
Healthcare Trust of America, Inc. (NYSE: HTA) is a publicly traded real estate investment trust that acquires, owns and operates medical office buildings. Since its formation in 2006, HTA has invested $3.7 billion in medical office buildings and other healthcare assets comprising 16.2 million square feet across 29 states. HTA listed on the New York Stock Exchange in June of 2012 and has a consistent track record of generating stockholder returns.
HTA invests in key markets with above average growth and healthcare infrastructure that are capable of servicing long-term patient demand. Within each key market, HTA focuses on acquiring medical office buildings on health system campuses, in community-core locations, or near university medical centers. The portfolio consists of medical office buildings that are core-critical, a key part of the integrated delivery of healthcare, and that continue to complement HTA's institutional asset management and leasing platform. HTA's business strategy is defined by establishing critical mass within key markets which allows HTA's asset management and in-house leasing platform to drive earnings growth, capitalize on synergies and maximize expense efficiencies, and build lasting tenant relationships, which is designed to lead to tenant retention, rent growth and long-term value creation across the portfolio.
More information about HTA can be found on the company's website at www.htareit.com.
This press release contains certain forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are based on current expectations, plans, estimates, assumptions and beliefs, including expectations, plans, estimates, assumptions and beliefs about HTA, stockholder value and earnings growth.
The forward-looking statements included in this press release are subject to numerous risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied in the forward-looking statements. Assumptions relating to the foregoing involve judgments with respect to, among other things, future economic, competitive and market conditions and future business decisions, all of which are difficult or impossible to predict accurately and many of which are beyond HTA's control. Although HTA believes that the expectations reflected in such forward-looking statements are based on reasonable assumptions, HTA's actual results and performance could differ materially and in adverse ways from those set forth in the forward-looking statements. Factors which could have a material adverse effect on HTA's operations and future prospects include, but are not limited to:
- changes in economic conditions affecting the healthcare property sector, the commercial real estate market and the credit market;
- competition for acquisition of medical office buildings and other facilities that serve the healthcare industry;
- economic fluctuations in certain states in which HTA's property investments are geographically concentrated;
- retention of HTA's senior management team;
- financial stability and solvency of HTA's tenants;
- supply and demand for operating properties in the market areas in which HTA operates;
- HTA's ability to acquire real properties, and to successfully operate those properties once acquired;
- changes in property taxes;
- legislative and regulatory changes, including changes to laws governing the taxation of REITs and changes to laws governing the healthcare industry;
- fluctuations in reimbursements from third party payors such as Medicare and Medicaid;
- changes in interest rates;
- the availability of capital and financing;
- restrictive covenants in HTA's credit facilities;
- changes in HTA's credit ratings;
- HTA's ability to remain qualified as a REIT;
- changes in accounting principles generally accepted in the United States of America, policies and guidelines applicable to REITs;
- delays in liquidating defaulted mortgage loan investors; and
- the risk factors set forth in HTA's 2015 Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2015 and in HTA's Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q.
Forward-looking statements speak only as of the date made. Except as otherwise required by the federal securities laws, HTA undertakes no obligation to update any forward-looking statements to reflect the events or circumstances arising after the date as of which they are made. As a result of these risks and uncertainties, readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on the forward-looking statements included in this press release or that may be made elsewhere from time to time by, or on behalf of, HTA
Chief Financial Officer
Healthcare Trust of America, Inc.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/healthcare-trust-of-america-inc-announces-appointment-of-daniel-s-henson-to-the-companys-board-of-directors-300260638.html
SOURCE Healthcare Trust of America, Inc.