HILLSDALE, Mich., Jan. 25, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Hillsdale College Debate Team concluded their fall 2015 season with a first-place win in the Lincoln-Douglas debate at the Council of Forensic Organization's "Holiday Frolic" on Dec. 6-7. Competitors included The Ohio State University, Central Michigan University, and Arizona State University.
During the 2015 season, the debate team competed in six tournaments and earned 30 awards, including two first-place team sweepstakes and two second- and third-place team sweepstakes.
"I am very proud of how our team performed this season," said Matthew Doggett, assistant professor of speech and the director of the debate team at Hillsdale College. "Everyone on the team is an exceptional talent, and we look forward to continuing our record of excellence in the years to come."
Some of Hillsdale College Debate Team's top performers, along with their individual awards, included:
- Kevin Ambrose, senior, Cleveland, Ohio—second place Open LD at Marshall University, quarterfinalist and fourth place speaker at The Ohio State University.
- Matthew Kendrick, freshman, Yorba Linda, California—first place Open National Parliamentary Debate Association (NPDA), first place novice speaker and second place open speaker in NPDA at Western Kentucky University, semi-finalist in novice Lincoln-Douglas (LD) debate and third place speaker in Novice LD at Marshall University, first place Open NPDA at Bowling Green State University.
- Tim Polelle, freshman, Findlay, Ohio—quarterfinalist in novice LD at Western Kentucky University, quarterfinalist in Novice LD at Lafayette College on day two, fifth place speaker in novice LD at Marshall University, first place Open NPDA with Matthew Kendrick at Bowling Green State University.
- Kara Schmidt, sophomore, Vancouver, Washington—second place in Novice LD at Western Kentucky University, first place Novice NPDA at Lafayette College on day one, second place Novice LD at Lafayette College on day two, second place in NPDA at Bowling Green State University.
- Shadrach Strehle, freshman, Snohomish, Washington—first place Novice LD at Western Kentucky University, semi-finalist in JV NPDA and third place speaker in JV NPDA at Wheaton College, semifinalist in Open LD at The Ohio State University.
- Duncan Voyles, junior, Fort Worth/Dallas, Texas- second place and third place speaker in Open LD at The Ohio State University.
To learn about Hillsdale College and its award-winning debate program, visit www.hillsdale.edu. To speak with one of the student-winners or the debate coach, please contact Emily Stack Davis or email email@example.com.
About Hillsdale College
Hillsdale College, founded in 1844, has built a national reputation through its classical liberal arts core curriculum and its principled refusal to accept federal or state taxpayer subsidies, even indirectly in the form of student grants or loans. It also conducts an educational outreach effort promoting civil and religious liberty, including a free monthly speech digest, Imprimis, with a circulation of more than 2.9 million.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/hillsdale-college-debate-team-wins-first-place-in-lincoln-douglas-debates-to-complete-a-competitive-season-300208983.html
SOURCE Hillsdale College