Holiday Decorations and Entertaining, Reason to Review Pennsylvania Insurance Needs
HARRISBURG, Pa., Dec. 20, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Combine a dried-out tree and the spark from a fireplace or electric light and 'tis the season for homeowners' insurance claims.
Fire is the cause of one-quarter of all homeowner losses and those claims spike during the holiday season.
The Insurance Department today offers the following safety tips:
- Inside your home, never leave burning candles or cooking appliances unattended, and be sure to keep your fireplace clean and well-maintained.
- Choose decorations that are flame resistant or flame retardant and keep your holiday greenery well watered.
- Maintain the exterior of your home by clearing off sidewalks and removing tripping hazards. Trim trees and clip dead branches so the weight of ice and snow will not cause branches to break and fall on your home, car or someone walking by your property.
- When hosting a party, make sure your insurance policy, and that of your caterer, carries enough liability coverage to meet the medical and legal expenses of your guests if they are injured at your home or as they are going home.
- Create a home inventory to keep track of any gifts you may receive, such as jewelry or electronics. Consumers can download the free myHOME Scr.APP.book app at their smart phone app stores to start tracking their items.
For more tips, visit www.insurance.pa.gov and click on the "Home for the Holidays" icon.
Consumers with questions about homeowners' policies may also call the department's toll-free hotline at 877-881-6388 or call the Harrisburg regional office at 717-787-2317.
Media Contacts: Rosanne Placey or Melissa Fox, 717-787-3289
SOURCE Pennsylvania Department of Insurance