Holiday Lighting Safety Reminder from FirstEnergy
AKRON, Ohio, Nov. 26, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The holiday season is the most popular time for home decoration. FirstEnergy's (NYSE: FE) utilities hope you will enjoy this festive season with family and friends while also remembering a few tips to ensure your holiday lighting displays remain safe throughout the season.
Outdoor Lighting Safety
- Check all lights for frayed wires or areas where insulation has pulled away from plugs or sockets. Discard and replace any damaged light strings.
- Take extra care using a ladder to install lights – avoid contact with overhead wires and make sure the ladder is placed on solid, level ground that isn't slippery.
- Ensure that tacks or nails used to hold light strings do not pierce any insulation on wires or light sockets.
- Use only extension cords that are approved for outdoor use. These cords must meet rigorous safety standards that indoor cords may not meet.
- Outdoor lights, inflatables and other decorations should be plugged into outlets protected by ground fault interrupters.
- Place outdoor lights on a timer or turn them off before you go to bed.
Indoor Lighting Safety
- Inspect all light strings and cords for any damage, including frayed wires or insulation that has pulled away from light sockets or plugs. Also check for chewing or scratching damage if you have pets in the house. Discard and replace any damaged light strings.
- Live trees should be kept well-watered.
- No more than three strings of standard indoor lights should be connected to any extension cord.
- Make sure cords are placed where they won't be stepped on, kinked or pose a tripping hazard.
- Lights should not be permitted to touch drapes, furniture or carpeting.
- Lights should be turned off overnight and when no one is home.
Additional holiday safety information is available at https://www.firstenergycorp.com/help/safety/safe-holiday-decorating.html. For more details about keeping safe around electricity, local groups can request a presentation through the FirstEnergy Speakers Bureau. For more information, contact email@example.com.
FirstEnergy is a diversified energy company dedicated to safety, reliability and operational excellence. Its 10 electric distribution companies form one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, serving customers in Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, West Virginia, Maryland and New York. Its generation subsidiaries currently control more than 18,000 megawatts of capacity from a diversified mix of scrubbed coal, non-emitting nuclear, natural gas, hydro, pumped-storage hydro and other renewables. Follow FirstEnergy on Twitter @FirstEnergyCorp.
SOURCE FirstEnergy Corp.