HONOLULU, May 11, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Along with vehicles from multiple automakers, certain Honda and Acura vehicles require free recall repairs to replace defective Takata airbag inflators that could rupture during a crash, potentially injuring or killing vehicle occupants. Honda encourages owners of all affected Honda and Acura vehicles to check their vehicle identification number (VIN) at www.recalls.honda.com and www.recalls.acura.com. If the repairs have not been made, seek the free recall repairs immediately. Replacement parts for all affected models are available at authorized dealers nationwide, including Hawaii.
Additionally, certain 2001-2003 Honda and Acura models originally equipped with the first-recalled Takata driver's front airbag inflators, called "Alpha" inflators, present a particularly high risk to their drivers and passengers with up to a 50 percent chance of an inflator rupture in a crash. Tragically, Honda has confirmed ten deaths in its vehicles due to ruptures of Takata airbag inflators in the United States, and all but two of these involved "Alpha" inflators. Approximately 1,100 Honda and Acura vehicles containing "Alpha" inflators remain unrepaired in Hawaii. Honda continues to recommend that unrepaired "Alpha" vehicles not be driven except to an authorized dealer for repair. A list of the specific 2001-2003 models that may be equipped with recalled Takata PSDI "Alpha" driver airbag inflators can be found here.
While Honda has made significant progress in repairing "Alpha" vehicles, with over 74 percent fixed to date, for a variety of reasons, a significant number of owners of these vehicles have not yet sought the free recall repairs.
There are five key things that Honda wants every owner of an unrepaired "Alpha" vehicle to know.
- All recall repairs are free.
- The only place your "Alpha" vehicle should be driven is to an authorized dealer for repair. If you're uncomfortable or unable to drive your car in for repair, we will pay to tow it (even a non-running vehicle) to the nearest dealer for free.
- We have plenty of replacement parts, all from alternative suppliers, not Takata. There should be no parts-related delay in the repair of your vehicle.
- If you need it, Honda will provide you with a free loaner or rental car on the day of your vehicle's repair.
- Please don't delay. Everyone is busy, and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience, but this repair could save your life!
Hawaii Takata Airbag Inflator Recall Facts:
Hawaii experiences consistently high levels of heat and humidity, two significant factors in the degradation of Takata's airbag inflator propellant, which can contribute to inflator ruptures. These conditions led the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to designate Hawaii among the highest priority states in relation to the Takata airbag inflator recalls. Thus, it is particularly important that all Hawaii residents determine if their vehicle is affected, and if so, call their local Honda or Acura dealer immediately to schedule a free recall repair.
- Approximately 26,000 Honda and Acura vehicles in the state of Hawaii are affected by Takata airbag inflator recalls and remain unrepaired.
- 61.6 percent of affected Honda and Acura vehicles in Hawaii have been repaired so far (79.6 percent of the "Alphas" have been repaired).
Authorized Honda and Acura recall repair centers in Hawaii:
Acura of Honolulu
3251 N Nimitz Hwy
Honolulu, HI 96819
45-671 Kamehameha Hwy
Kaneohe, HI 96744
188 S. Beretania St.
Honolulu, HI 96813
94-1299 Ka Uka Blvd.
Waipahu, HI 96797
Acura of Maui
404 Kele St.
Kahului, HI 96732
110 Hana Hwy
Kahului, HI 96732
The Big Island (Honda dealers can complete Takata recall repairs for either brand):
Big Island Honda-Hilo
124 Wiwoole St
Hilo, HI 96720
Big Island Honda-Kona
75-5608 Kuakini Hwy
Kailua Kona, HI 96740
Kauai (Honda dealer can complete Takata recall repairs for either brand)
4330 Kukui Grove St.
Lihue, HI 96766
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/honda-advises-owners-of-vehicles-affected-by-takata-airbag-inflator-recalls-in-hawaii-to-seek-repair-immediately-300456070.html
SOURCE American Honda Motor Co., Inc.