Hoops fans will help decide who will be the next C Spire Howell and Gillom Trophy winners honoring Mississippi's top male and female college basketball players

Formula for determining winners means fans will influence 10 percent of the award total; sparking new excitement, interest and engagement with their favorite players and schools

Feb 29, 2016, 16:02 ET from C Spire

JACKSON, Miss., Feb. 29, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- For only the third time in the history of the awards, Mississippi hoops  fans will have the opportunity to take part in the voting for the C Spire Howell and Gillom Trophies, which annually honor the Magnolia state's top male and female college basketball players.

C Spire, along with the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame and Museum (MSHOF), announced today that fan voting will count for 10 percent of the 2016 Howell and Gillom Trophy awards.  A panel of statewide media will comprise the remaining 90 percent of the voting.

"This gives fans a chance to play a part in helping identify our state's best male and female college basketball players," said Bill Blackwell, executive director of the MSHOF and co-sponsor of the award along with C Spire.  "The National Basketball Association and players and coaches have used fan voting to determine who plays in the All-Star game for years.  Giving our fans, who are some of the most passionate in sports, a voice in the process creates more interest in a pair of awards that have become an integral part of Mississippi college basketball tradition."

More background information

About C Spire 
C Spire is a diversified telecommunications and technology services company that provides world-class service and a superior, comprehensive suite of customer-inspired wireless communications, ultra high speed Internet access and a range of other telecommunications products and services to consumers and businesses.  This news release and other announcements are available at www.cspire.com/news. For more information about C Spire, visit www.cspire.com or follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/cspire or Twitter at www.twitter.com/cspire.

Photo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20160229/338657
Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20150428/212389LOGO

 

SOURCE C Spire



RELATED LINKS

http://www.cspire.com