How to become indispensable at work
Money Management International offers advice on creating job security
HOUSTON, Sept. 17, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- No job is ever guaranteed, but there's a lot you can do to make yourself invaluable at work. Money Management International suggests the following ways to stand out in a crowded workplace. (www.MoneyManagement.org)
- Attitude - You don't need to be the most popular person in the office, but a positive attitude and a good sense of humor goes a long way. Most jobs involve some sort of daily contact with peers, superiors or direct reports. Your attitude and how you treat your fellow employees has an enormous impact, not just on how you're perceived, but on the quality of everyone's work experience.
- Ask for more - Completing helpful tasks above and beyond your normal work responsibilities increases your value and helps separate you from your co-workers. It's also great ammunition to bring to your next performance review or when asking for a raise.
- Increase your skills - Don't pass up on training or education opportunities. When thinking about increasing your skills branch out a little. Consider working on some slightly more tangential skills, like communication, conflict resolution, time management, and information technology.
- Networking - To maximize the work that you're already doing, make an effort to be known to the people who make decisions. Develop a positive relationship with your direct supervisor. When given the opportunity, make sure that the people above your supervisor know who you are.
- Understand the big picture - If you don't see the purpose in what you do, it's easy to become de-motivated and to let your work suffer. But the better you understand your company's goals and how you can personally impact those goals, the more motivated you'll feel, and beyond that, the easier it will be for you to find those opportunities to go above and beyond and make your value unmistakable.
About Money Management International
Money Management International (MMI) is a nonprofit, full-service credit-counseling agency, providing confidential financial guidance, financial education, counseling and debt management assistance to consumers since 1958. MMI helps consumers trim their expenses, develop a spending plan and repay debts. Counseling is available 24/7 by phone and online, and by appointment at branch locations. Services are available in English or Spanish. To learn more, call 866.490.9477 or visit MoneyManagement.org.
SOURCE Money Management International
More by this Source
How to Be a Smart Internet Shopper
Dec 02, 2013, 15:12 ET
Credit Counselors Launch Student Loan Counseling Program
Nov 22, 2013, 12:16 ET
CRISS-CROSS, Inc. Joins Money Management International
Nov 21, 2013, 13:32 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.