SACRAMENTO, Calif., April 20, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- While Sacramento residents experienced a milder winter compared to other parts of the country this year, they still weathered their fair share of rainstorms, flooding and inclement weather. As a rule of thumb, homeowners can eliminate costly maintenance service calls this summer by performing a few basic inspections themselves. Gilmore Heating, Air, Solar offers valuable tips to homeowners to inspect and repair winter storm damage and prepare their homes for the hotter months.
"Winter storms, like the drenching rains we experienced in Sacramento this winter, often cause maintenance headaches for homeowners during spring and summer," said Darrin Gilmore, general manager of Gilmore Heating, Air, Solar. "There are a few simple things homeowners can do to identify and correct issues before they become major problems to prevent high repair costs later on."
Gilmore recommends doing the following home maintenance inspections to prepare your home for spring:
1. Check your Indoor Air Quality
- Inspect and replace A/C air filters. A clean filter will ensure cleaner, fresher and healthier air in your home. Also, a clogged air filter allows less air to flow through your system, forcing it to work harder. This can cause extensive damage to your system and increase costs due to higher energy bills and costly repairs.
- Make sure the A/C registers and ductwork are clear. For homes with pets or children, it's very common for all sorts of items to end up lodged in ductwork.
- Inspect ductwork and vents for signs of mold growth.
2. Conduct Simple Air Conditioner Maintenance
- Examine your heating and cooling unit for strange noises, condensation leaks and indoor temperatures that do not match thermostat readings. These are all signs that your air conditioning unit needs repair.
- Request a seasonal system tune-up and cleaning to make sure your system works efficiently.
3. Insulate and Waterproof Your Home
- Check the insulation of your walls, attic, crawl spaces, basement, garage and ceiling. Also, visually inspect your roof for shingle lift. Poor insulation can be the cause of increased energy bills due to heat loss during winter and heat absorption during summer.
- Inspect your gutters. Remove any debris that could prevent your gutters from draining properly. Check that all the downspouts extend away from the home to prevent water from pooling close to your home.
- Check the faucets inside the house for any leaks and seepage. Catching a water leak at an early stage will prevent costly damage to your home.
For Sacramento-area residents who are interested in obtaining an air conditioner tune-up and cleaning in preparation for spring, contact the professionals at Gilmore Heating, Air, Solar at (800) 200-9696 or visit www.gilmoreair.com.
About Gilmore Heating, Air, Solar
Gilmore Heating, Air, Solar has been serving the Sacramento area since 1979, when John Gilmore took his years of experience in designing heating and air conditioning systems and opened his own company. It was, and continues to be, a family business. The business has grown to more than 90 employees, all dedicated to the "Get More with Gilmore" motto that promises outstanding customer service with a commitment to environmental protection and community service. To find out more, visit www.gilmoreair.com or call (800) 200-9696.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/how-to-prepare-your-home-for-spring-300442208.html
SOURCE Gilmore Heating, Air, Solar