PEARL RIVER, N.Y., Sept. 27, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- To enhance adult awareness of the potential dangers posed to young children by window treatments with cords, October has been designated National Window Covering Safety Month for the past nine years. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and the Window Covering Safety Council (WCSC), which includes Hunter Douglas, the leading name in custom window fashions, as well as other window covering manufacturers, importers and retailers, work together to sponsor this campaign every year.
Hunter Douglas offers the widest variety of products on the market that eliminate lift cords or substantially reduce access to them and has always implemented an annual promotion around child safety in support of Window Covering Safety Month. This year, between September 15 and October 31, 2012, free upgrades to the LiteRise® cordless lifting system as well as the UltraGlide® retractable cord lifting system will be included in the promotion.
New to the window fashions leader's safety offering is soft, sheer Silhouette® window shadings with an enhanced version of the LiteRise lifting system. Along with raising and lowering the shading, the vanes can now also be manually controlled. Silhouette with LiteRise eliminates the need for cords of any kind, making it the ultimate choice for enhanced child safety. This treatment is so innovative, it was named Product of the Year by the Window Covering Manufacturers Association, the benchmark of industry excellence.
The LiteRise system is also available on Hunter Douglas honeycomb shades, Modern Roman Shades, pleated shades and wood, alternative wood and aluminum blinds.
"October may be Window Covering Safety Month, but to us, safety is a top priority every day," said Joe Jankoski, Vice President of Merchandising for Hunter Douglas. "We not only celebrate Silhouette with LiteRise and the LiteRise system, but all of the systems and features we have developed to help reduce the risk of injury from window covering operating cords."
Other products that can help reduce the risk of accidents include:
- PowerRise® 2.0 with Platinum™ Technology, a battery-powered remote control system that operates window fashions at the touch of a button and also completely eliminates lift cords. It is offered on a wide range of Hunter Douglas products. PowerGlide® with Platinum™ Technology offers wireless motorization that both traverses the sheers and rotates the vanes on Luminette® Privacy Sheers and Modern Draperies and Skyline® Gliding Window Panels.
- The UltraGlide system, a single, retractable cord that maintains a constant length, whether the shade is raised or lowered. This significantly reduces access to the lift cord and offers smooth, reliable operation. It is an option on honeycomb shades, window shadings and Modern Roman Shades.
- Hunter Douglas roller shades also have the option of a spring-like clutch lifting system in place of a traditional operating cord where shades can be raised and lowered with a gentle pull on the bottom bar or decorative pull.
- A variety of Hunter Douglas vertically oriented products work with a wand option that allows all functions to be controlled by a single wand without the need for operating cords.
- And, all Hunter Douglas Custom Shutters are cordless by design, eliminating the potential safety hazard posed by window covering cords.
Additional information can be found in the Hunter Douglas Child Safety At The Window brochure, which is available at many Hunter Douglas dealers, by calling Hunter Douglas at 1-800-99SAFTY (1-800-997-2389) or by downloading it at hunterdouglas.com.
Hunter Douglas Inc., headquartered in Pearl River, N.Y, is the leading manufacturer and marketer of custom window fashions in North America and a major manufacturer of architectural products. The company is a national sponsor of Habitat for Humanity, covering windows in every Habitat home built in the U.S. and Canada.
SOURCE Hunter Douglas Inc.