If You Have The Urge to Splurge Online This Holiday Season, Stay Safe With AVG's Online Shopping Guide Clear, simple guide helps online shoppers navigate Black Friday & Cyber Monday with peace of mind
AMSTERDAM and SAN FRANCISCO, Nov. 15, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- AVG Technologies N.V. (NYSE: AVG), the provider of Internet and mobile security, privacy and optimization to 172 million active users, has launched a short, practical guide which provides tips on how to help keep yourself and your personal details safe and private when shopping online during the Holiday season. The eBook is available to download for free from AVG's website: www.avg.com/ebooks/online-shopping-download
AVG's Online Shopping Guide provides useful tips and advice for consumers to help them avoid some of the most common risks associated with online purchasing including:
- Whether the site or item is legitimate
- How to tell whether your credit card details are secure
- What rights you have, especially if buying from abroad
- How to check whether there are hidden charges
Traditionally, the number of people shopping has peaked sharply at this time of year giving rise to some special dates in the retailer's calendar. In the United States, the first of these is Black Friday which follows Thanksgiving Day, allegedly named as such because of the crowds entering stores hunting the best deals and helping retailers turn a profit (be 'in the black'). This year, it falls on Friday, 29 November and is swiftly followed by Cyber Monday on 2 December, which was supposedly created by retailers to encourage people to shop online. Last year consumer, online sales hit $1 trillion and are expected to grow by more than 18 per cent in 2013, according to eMarketer, a specialized research firm on digital marketing.
"Shopping via the Internet or on your mobile phone has effectively brought the department store right into our homes. Not only does it make available a greater choice of goods and services at competitive prices, but it's ideal for those who aren't able to get to the high street so easily or want to avoid the high street crush," said Judith Bitterli, CVP Marketing, AVG Technologies. "With the growing popularity of shopping online, we produced this short guide to help consumers familiarize themselves with a range of useful tips and some things to watch out for. Our aim is to help them feel confident when purchasing online and to enjoy the experience."
- Follow Judith Bitterli at her blog: http://blogs.avg.com/author/judith-bitterli/
- Download our other free eBooks:
- An Online Safety Guide for Parents: http://www.avg.com/ebooks/guide-for-parents
- A Baby Boomer's Guide to Facebook: http://www.avg.com/ebooks/baby-boomers-guide-to-facebook#.UjNGF2VwbIU
- Parent's Guide to Early Years Online: http://www.avg.com/ebooks/digital-early-years#.UnKkLWVFDIU
About AVG Technologies (NYSE: AVG)
AVG's mission is to simplify, optimize and secure the Internet experience, providing peace of mind to a connected world. AVG's powerful yet easy-to‐use software and online services put users in control of their Internet experience. By choosing AVG's software and services, users become part of a trusted global community that benefits from inherent network effects, mutual protection and support. AVG has grown its user base to 172 million active users as of September 30, 2013 and offers a product portfolio that targets the consumer and small business markets and includes Internet security, PC performance optimization, online backup, mobile security, identity protection and family safety software.
Keep in touch with AVG
- For breaking news, follow AVG on Twitter at www.twitter.com/AVGfree
- Join our Facebook community at www.facebook.com/AVG
- Join our LinkedIn community at www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=2719797
SOURCE AVG Technologies