Illinois CPA Society Names 2012 "Women to Watch" Award Recipients
CHICAGO, Nov. 20, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Illinois CPA Society is honoring six of its members with their eighth annual prestigious "Women to Watch" awards in recognition of their notable contributions to the accounting profession, their organizations and the development of women as leaders.
The award recipients will be honored at the Illinois CPA Society's Women's Leadership Breakfast on Friday, November 30 at the Standard Club in Chicago where they will also take part in a lively panel discussion on work/life balance issues, including what they've done to keep the balance and if it's truly achievable. The 2012 "Women to Watch" award recipients include the following professionals:
Experienced Leader Category:
- Helen Barrick, CPA, is an Audit Partner with CliftonLarsonAllen LLP. She has served and is a mentor to many CliftonLarsonAllen professionals and supports the firm's Women's and Family Initiatives Programs both formally and informally. Ms. Barrick is actively involved in the Illinois CPA Society, the Government Finance Officers' Association, and the AICPA, for which she has served on the Government Audit and Accounting Committee. She served as Treasurer of Peoria Academy, President and Treasurer of the Central Illinois Alzheimer's Association, Treasurer of the Women's Fund of Central Illinois, and was a member of the Komen for the Cure Peoria Memorial Affiliate Grant Committee.
- Kathryn Garlow, CPA, is a Tax Partner with Shepard Schwartz & Harris LLP, specializing in complex estate, gift and income tax planning for privately owned businesses and their owners. Kathy represents SS&H in the International Network of Accountants and Auditors and oversees the firm's Intern Training Program. She established and organizes the firm's annual women's networking initiative. Ms. Garlow has served as Past Co-Chair of the Chicago Bar Association Tax Law Committee, a founding member of the Elmhurst Junior Women's Club, and a Career Day volunteer for her local Girl Scout troop. She was named to the Five Star Wealth Manager List in 2010, 2011 and 2012.
- Stacy Janiak, CPA, is the Central Region Managing Partner of the Audit and Enterprise Risk Services Practice and Chicago Office Managing Partner for Deloitte & Touche LLP. She has overall management and profit & loss responsibility for Deloitte's Audit practice in a 14-state region. Ms. Janiak also leads the quality, client satisfaction, growth and human resources initiatives for more than 3,700 professionals in Deloitte's Chicago office. She will be featured in an upcoming Smart Business Chicago cover story on best practices for creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. Ms. Janiak serves on the Board of Trustees for DePaul University and on the Board of Directors for the Boys and Girls Club of Chicago.
Emerging Leader Category:
- Jeannie Adamson, CPA, is a newly-promoted Assurance Partner at Ernst & Young LLP, specializing in retail and consumer practice and serving a wide range of multinational organizations. For the past ten years, Ms. Adamson has served as the lead engagement executive for a global Fortune 200 company, where she has overseen the client's global audit in approximately 40 countries. In June 2012, she was honored with Ernst & Young's "Courage to Lead" award and has led a team volunteer event for her firm's young professionals that benefited the Boys and Girls Clubs in Chicago. She worked on a reduced schedule for 5 years of her career and serves as a resource to other women planning to work on a flexible work arrangement at Ernst & Young.
- Lisa Malina, CPA, is the President of Malina and Company, an accounting practice that specializes in entertainment. Ms. Malina has given accounting and tax presentations at corporations and not-for-profit national conferences, and is a frequent panelist and speaker on accounting issues in the entertainment industry. She has been an ardent supporter of the Illinois CPA Society, serving as President of the North Shore Chapter for two years, Chairman of the Young Professionals Group, Vice President of the O'Hare Chapter, and as a Legislative Contact. She volunteers at Oakton Community College, leads four Girl Scout Troops, served as Treasurer of her children's school PTA, and provides pro bono accounting and tax services for those in need.
- Elizabeth Pittelkow, CPA, is an Accounting Manager with ArrowStream, Inc. and contributes toward many company initiatives, including co-founding the Business Continuity Committee, organizing philanthropies, and serving as President of ArrowStream Toastmasters. In Toastmasters, she is an Area Governor and recently earned a Triple Crown award and an Advanced Communicator Bronze designation. Ms. Pittelkow serves as Secretary of the Illinois CPA Society Ethics Committee, teaches accounting ethics, co-authors an accounting ethics blog, and maintains CGMA and CITP designations from the AICPA. Ms. Pittelkow is an active and volunteering alumna of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign where she earned Senior 100 Honorary and a College of Business Top Ten Seniors Award.
"I am honored to have these innovative women as part of our membership," said Elaine Weiss, President and CEO of the Illinois CPA Society. "They are dedicated to the profession and their communities, and are truly role models for future generations of CPAs."
The "Women to Watch" awards are a joint partnership between the Illinois CPA Society's Women's Executive Committee and American Institute of Certified Public Accountants Women's Initiatives Executive Committee to recognize and celebrate women who have promoted a work environment that provides opportunities for the successful integration of their personal and professional lives and the advancement of women to positions of leadership. More information on the winners and the event is available on the Illinois CPA Society website, www.icpas.org.
About the Illinois CPA Society
The Illinois CPA Society, founded in 1903, is the fourth largest state CPA Society in the nation, with more than 24,000 members. It is the premier professional organization that represents CPAs in Illinois. During its over 100 years of existence, the Society has advanced the highest ethical and financial standards of the profession, and has been a leader in educating the public on financial issues.
SOURCE Illinois CPA Society
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.