CHARLOTTE, N.C., April 21, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Children at ImaginOn library will have a special guest reader for their 10:30 a.m. story time on Friday, April 22. NC Treasurer Janet Cowell will read The Berenstain Bears' Trouble with Money to help kick off the inaugural Money Smart Week ® North Carolina. Money Smart Week is a public awareness campaign created by the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago that takes place April 23-30 where free financial education events and programs are hosted nationwide.
"Throughout North Carolina Money Smart week, I'll join with others to equip individuals across our state with the knowledge and tools to make better financial decisions," said Treasurer Cowell.
In addition to the story time launch event, there are about 150 free events scheduled in North Carolina for all age ranges on various financial topics including saving for college and managing student loan debt to budgeting and retirement.
"We are excited to have Treasurer Cowell help launch the first official Money Smart Week ® in North Carolina," said Jacqueline Howard, director of corporate citizenship at Ally and Money Smart Week co-chairperson. "Ally is committed to helping people of all ages better understand how to manage their finances. The children attending the story time are among the 5,000 students who will receive free a financial literacy focused children's book from Ally during Money Smart Week."
Money Smart Week began as a one-city program in Chicago and has grown to all 50 states, including North Carolina, with more than 4,000 events and 150,000 participants annually. The inaugural Money Smart Week NC planning team has gathered support from more than 40 organizations with the North Carolina Council on Economic Education (NCCEE) and Ally Financial serving as co-chairs.
Another highlight of the free programs being offered during Money Smart Week is Geocache for College Cash, which will be held at nine universities including: Central Carolina Community College, East Carolina University, NC A&T State University, North Carolina Central University, Fayetteville State University, Campbell University, UNC Pembroke, Winthrop University and Durham Technical Community College. Geocache for College Cash is similar to a scavenger hunt, where students access quiz questions at different locations and log their answers digitally. A prize winner is then selected from the pool of players with the most correct answers.
Organizations participating in Money Smart Week in North Carolina include:
- Albemarle Library
- Ally Financial
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Rho Psi Omega Chapter
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Charlotte
- Bragg Financial Advisors
- Braswell Memorial Library
- C N Jenkins Memorial Presbyterian Church
- Center for Smart Financial Choices
- Central Carolina Community College
- Charlotte Mecklenburg Library
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools
- Crown Financial Ministries
- Dress for Success Charlotte
- Durham Technical Community College
- Equipping Wise Managers
- Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond
- Financial Planning Association of Charlotte
- Forsyth County Public Library
- Gardner-Webb University
- Gunn Memorial Public Library
- Harris YMCA
- Hope Haven
- James E. Shepard Memorial Library North Carolina Central University
- Junior Achievement of Central Carolinas
- Love, Inc.
- McCrorey YMCA
- National Coalition of 100 Black Women-Queen City Metropolitan Chapter
- NC Department of Public Instruction
- NC Department of State Treasurer
- New Hanover County Public Library
- North Carolina Bankers Association
- Randy Marion Automotive Group
- Stanly County Public Library
- State Employees' Credit Union
- State Farm
- Stratford Richardson YMCA
- The Little Rock Community Development Corporation,
- Topics Education
- University of North Carolina at Pembroke
- Urban League of Central Carolinas
- Wells Fargo
- Winston Salem Forsyth County Schools
- Winthrop University
For more information, or obtain a list of Money Smart Week® events, visit www.moneysmartweek.org. Event information is available and searchable by state, county, zip code, topic or keyword.
About Money Smart Week
Created by the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago in 2002, Money Smart Week® is a public awareness campaign designed to help consumers better manage their personal finances. This is achieved through the collaboration and coordinated effort of hundreds of organizations across the country. Programming is offered to all demographics and income levels and covers all facets of personal finance. Partnering Organizations will host their events April 23 - 30, 2016. More information at www.moneysmartweek.org
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/inaugural-money-smart-week-north-carolina-kicks-off-with-kids-reading-event-300255618.html
SOURCE Ally Financial