INRIX Memorial Day Traffic Forecast Predicts Drivers Will Face Increased Congestion On The Roads Heading Out For The Holiday INRIX Discounts Premium Traffic App for Drivers Seeking to Avoid Delays Over the Holiday Weekend
KIRKLAND, Wash., May 20, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- INRIX, a leading provider of traffic information and driver services, released its Memorial Day travel forecast today predicting holiday traffic will increase an average of four percent over last year. The trend is consistent with data drawn from the INRIX Traffic Scorecard Annual Report released last month showing traffic congestion back on the rise in 62 of the top 100 U.S. cities after two years of declines.
Based on analysis of recent traffic trends and holiday getaway traffic patterns over the last year, INRIX provides the following guidance to drivers seeking a hassle-free holiday getaway:
- Friday will be the busiest getaway day. While not as intense as a typical Friday, the afternoon rush hour period will start much earlier with traffic building as early as 1 p.m. and traffic congestion peaking 1-2 hours earlier than normal.
- Leave early or leave late. To avoid delays getting out of town for the weekend, INRIX advises drivers to leave before noon or after 6 p.m. on Friday evening to avoid the heaviest traffic.
- Monday afternoon will be the busiest return day. While the Monday return trip will be lighter than the Friday getaway, INRIX's analysis shows the busiest time to be on the roads will be between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m.
- Know before you go. Traffic patterns over holiday weekends are different than on typical commute days, so drivers are advised to check real-time traffic conditions before they hit the road. Free apps like INRIX Traffic (www.inrixtraffic.com) can help drivers plan their getaway as well as avoid frustrating delays from accidents and other incidents along the way.
For even more time-saving, hassle-free travel benefits, INRIX is discounting the premium version of the INRIX Traffic app from $24.99 to just $9.99 from May 20th through May 29th. Available as an in-app purchase, the one-time fee delivers access to a host of added benefits over the life of the user's iTunes or Google Play account, including:
- Insight into the fastest routes and travel times for an unlimited number of saved destinations
- Access more than 10,000 traffic cameras across INRIX's nationwide network
- Locate the closest, cheapest gas with daily updates for more than 100,000 gas stations nationwide
"Nothing is more frustrating than starting a holiday weekend sitting in traffic. The drive out of town will be much different than what drivers experience on a typical Friday," noted INRIX Traffic Analyst Jamie Holter. "Knowing exactly what to expect and how to avoid major delays will help you spend less time on the road and more time at your destination."
INRIX is one of the fastest growing big data technology companies in the world. The company leverages big data analytics to reduce the individual, economic and environmental toll of traffic congestion. Through cutting-edge data intelligence and predictive traffic technologies, INRIX helps leading automakers, fleets, governments and news organizations make it easier for drivers to navigate their world. Our vision is simple – to solve traffic, empower drivers, inform planning and enhance commerce.
Whether through an in-car or smartphone navigation application, a local newscast or our INRIX Traffic app, our up-to-the-minute traffic information and other driver services reach more than 150 million drivers to help them save time, fuel and frustration. INRIX delivers traffic and driving-related insight, as well as sophisticated analytical tools and services across six industries covering over two million miles of road in 32 countries. For more information visit us at www.INRIX.com.
Hyperlinks in release
INRIX Scorecard: http://scorecard.inrix.com/scorecard/