INRIX Predicts a 30 Percent Increase in Traffic Congestion Nationwide Post-Labor Day New INRIX Traffic App Offers Personalized Traffic News, Live Traffic Cameras to Help Drivers Avoid Gridlock
KIRKLAND, Wash., Aug. 29, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- INRIX, a leading provider of traffic information and driver services, released its Labor Day Traffic Forecast today, predicting U.S. drivers will experience a "back to school" increase in traffic congestion of at least 30 percent1 following the holiday weekend. To combat this trend and help drivers out of town for Labor Day weekend, INRIX is introducing a new version of its INRIX Traffic App and reducing the price of its premium app from $24.99 to just $9.99.
"The latest update to our INRIX Traffic App provides relief to drivers battling the back to school rush and all year long," said Mike Arcuri, INRIX VP of Consumer Mobile. "It provides the best glance and go experience available so drivers can avoid traffic problems before they end up stuck in them, every day and every drive."
INRIX's latest update to its INRIX Traffic App introduces a personalized "front page" that provides accurate, timely insight specific to drivers' key routes and frequent destinations.
Key features of the INRIX Traffic App include:
- New! Personalized traffic news page. Personalized traffic maps, travel times, traffic cameras and incidents give drivers the "what," "where," and "why" impacts of accidents, major sporting events, and other traffic causing delays all on one screen.
- New! Instant views of live traffic cameras showing drivers how accidents, weather and construction are impacting traffic ahead, now free.
- New! Ability to quickly search and find the fastest route and travel time to any destination, now free.
- New! The price of the premium version of the app is now just $9.99 offering drivers unlimited saved places and the ability to find the closest cheapest gas station.
Drivers also get the ability to set departure alerts that tell them when to leave and how long it will take to get to their upcoming destination on time. En route, drivers can send their ETA to friends and family or warn other drivers to accidents and incidents on the road with just a few taps.
Labor Day and Back to School Forecast
To help drivers further prepare for holiday weekend travel and back-to-school traffic, INRIX's Labor Day Traffic Forecast offers the following insight and tips for drivers:
- Thanks to an improving economy, more drivers will be on the roads over the holiday with traffic congestion up 10 percent compared to last year in most major U.S. metropolitan areas.
- Leave before 1 p.m. or after 6:30 p.m. on Friday to avoid the worst delays heading out of town – rush hour traffic will peak between 3 p.m. and 5 p.m.
- As families get back on their regular schedules once kids go back to school, drivers will experience at least a 30 percent increase in traffic congestion on their daily commutes. A typical 30 minute trip on a Wednesday morning will take 45 minutes post Labor Day.
- Major metropolitan areas like New York, L.A. and Boston are most likely to see the biggest increases – potentially as much as 50 percent.
While back to school will have the biggest impact on the morning commute, evening rush hours will start sooner than during the summer months as more drivers collectively hit the roads earlier to pick up their kids from school.
"We think we know what traffic is like on our daily commute, but surprises pop up all the time, and those surprises cause major driver frustration and delays," added Arcuri. "The data shows traffic is constantly changing depending on the season, employment and the economy, as well as today's highway accident, construction project, or big concert."
INRIX is one of the fastest growing big data technology companies in the world. The company leverages big data analytics to reduce the individual, economic and environmental toll of traffic congestion. Through cutting-edge data intelligence and predictive traffic technologies, INRIX helps leading automakers, fleets, governments and news organizations make it easier for drivers to navigate their world. Our vision is simple – to solve traffic, empower drivers, inform planning and enhance commerce.
Whether through an in-car or smartphone navigation application, a local newscast or our INRIX Traffic app, our up-to-the-minute traffic information and other driver services reach more than 150 million drivers to help them save time, fuel and frustration. INRIX delivers traffic and driving-related insight, as well as sophisticated analytical tools and services across six industries covering nearly 3 million miles of road in 32 countries. For more information visit us at www.INRIX.com.
1 INRIX analyzed recent traffic trends as well as several years of historical data comparing congestion patterns and delay in August and September in major metropolitan areas nationwide.