Intelligent Enumerating Battery Charger from Maxim Integrated Provides the Safest and Fastest Possible Charge for Mobile Equipment Maxim's battery charger automatically detects adapter types and charges at the highest possible current without an external CPU or system hardware.
SAN JOSE, Calif., April 3, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Maxim Integrated Products, Inc. (NASDAQ: MXIM) today announced that it is now sampling the MAX77301 Li+ battery charger. It integrates the intelligence to enumerate with the host device, automatically identify the adapter type, and then determine the fastest rate to charge a battery. With advanced temperature monitoring, the MAX77301 modulates the charge current and battery regulation voltage automatically to maximize safety in any temperature environment. It performs all of these functions without an external CPU or system hardware. The MAX77301 is ideal for mobile equipment, such as cameras, Bluetooth® headsets, MP3 players, and portable medical devices.
To enhance battery safety, battery makers often recommend charging "gently" in cold or hot ambient temperatures. This often necessitates use of a microcontroller to monitor and control the charger. The MAX77301 solves this charging problem by automatically setting charge parameters at a safe level. The device also provides full programmability via the I2C interface, increasing flexibility. Furthermore, it integrates an enumeration and adapter detection engine to maximize charge current. This safety feature and the adapter detection ensure the fastest and safest possible charging.
- Maximizes charge current: automatically detects charge source and sets the highest allowable charge current.
- Optimizes user convenience: Smart Power Selector™ technology allows a portable device to operate with a discharged battery or no battery.
- Highly flexible: fully programmable I2C interface; charges from a USB port.
- Easy implementation: no extra software required for charger detection or USB enumeration.
- "With its integrated intelligence, the MAX77301 is a perfect fit for devices that do not have application processors but need to charge quickly. This includes cameras, Bluetooth headsets, and medical devices," said Sam Toba, Director of Mobility Business Management at Maxim Integrated.
- "The majority of growth in the battery management IC market is projected to be driven by transitions to lithium battery technologies, particularly in applications that demand longer battery life but with faster charging cycles," said Ryan Sanderson, Associate Director of Power Management and Conversion at IHS. "Being able to provide this safely is critical to the speed of adoption."
Availability and Pricing
- Available in a 25-bump, 2.44mm x 2.44 wafer-level package (WLP).
- Pricing starts at $2.22 (1000-up, FOB USA).
For a hi-res image, click here.
About Maxim Integrated
At Maxim Integrated, we put analog together in a way that sets our customers apart. In Fiscal 2012, we reported revenues of $2.4 billion.
Smart Power Selector is a trademark of Maxim Integrated Products, Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Maxim Integrated Products, Inc.