WASHINGTON, Jan. 9, 2017 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Halcyon Stage, a bold new performance series providing a platform that spotlights traditional arts with a twist, is set to launch this month. A New Creatives Conversation with Misty Copeland at Halcyon House on January 23 marks the official launch of Halcyon Stage, and presents the international ballet star in an intimate, no-holds barred conversation with Artistic Director Septime Webre.
"From innovative performances and unexpected conversations to immersive experiences, we are thrilled to launch Halcyon Stage, designed to establish deep connections with audiences," according to Webre. "We have curated an array of programs that is both eclectic and electric, providing a pure celebration of creativity in our modern world."
Celebrating artistic experimentation and change, Halcyon Stage will offer a fusion of innovative performances, transformative conversations, and experiences that push past traditional boundaries and limitations. Operating from a home base of Halcyon House in Georgetown, but extending across the city to Dock 5 at Union Market, through a partnership with Edens, Halcyon Stage will challenge cultural connoisseurs with daring explorations of what defines creativity, embracing what's new, unorthodox and extraordinary. Additional partnerships have been forged with Politics & Prose and Wolf Trap.
"Through Halcyon Stage we are building a solid foundation of partnerships throughout the community, bringing imaginative and innovative programming to audiences across the District, as we celebrate creativity across genres," said Sachiko Kuno, CEO and President, S&R.
The programs under the Halcyon Stage umbrella include:
- New Creatives Conversations, an interactive series of dialogues with some of the most intriguing influencers of our time.
- Halcyon Stage Book Party in Partnership with Politics & Prose series invites celebrated authors to discuss their work in an intimate social setting.
- Halcyon Stage @ Dock 5 is a partnership with Edens and Union Market to create community and spread creativity across DC, offering performances in unorthodox settings and immersive experiences throughout our city.
- Halcyon Stage Cabaret is sometimes bawdy, sometimes naughty and always thoughtful, intimate and intriguing.
- Halcyon Stage Pop-Up @ Union Market is a series of free pop-up concerts and events designed to allow audiences to find beauty in unexpected places, activating the Union Market and its surrounds with an artistic spirit and filling it with a sense of community.
- Halcyon Stage House Party is part of Halcyon Stage's Hip-Hop Initiative, which includes the commissioning and presentation of internationally-recognized artists performing around a curated theme, and also an eight-week series of free workshops for youth in Southeast Washington DC who gain skills in the creation of hip-hop music, create their own original music and rhymes, and record a new mixtape exploring their own personal "visions of the future."
Webre left The Washington Ballet after 17 years, during which time TWB increased its profile and impact regionally, nationally and internationally. He led growth and expansion in both excellence and bold creativity, with projects including a "trippy" ALICE (In Wonderland); the "American Experience," featuring original full-length ballets based on iconic works of American literature, and the pursuit of full-length original classic works including Swan Lake, a significant milestone that secured TWB's position as a major international player in the dance world. Under his direction, The Washington School of Ballet's enrollment has tripled and the organization's commitment to community through its visionary DanceDC and TWB@THEARC programs has positively affected the lives of tens of thousands of children in the District of Columbia.
Tickets are now available for all Halcyon Stage programming, which includes events with such creative luminaries as Misty Copeland and John Waters. The full Spring schedule, with detailed descriptions and ticket information, is found here: http://halcyonstage.org/.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/introducing-halcyon-stage-300387963.html
SOURCE S&R Foundation