iPhone 4S Activations Surge While Android Activations Remain Steady in Q4 2011: Results Detailed in Good Technology's Q4 2011 Data Report
Analysis of Mobile Devices Activated by Good Technology's Enterprise Customers Over the Final Quarter of 2011 Illustrated in New Data Report Released Today
SUNNYVALE, Calif., Jan. 25, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Good Technology (http://www.good.com), the leading provider of secure, managed enterprise mobility for a range of mobile devices, today released its quarterly data report for the final quarter of 2011. The report details smartphone and tablet devices activated amongst its enterprise customers, which include half of the Fortune 100. The full report, which looks at calendar Q4, 2011, can be downloaded www.good.com/resources/Good_Data_Q4_2011.pdf.
Tablets were the story for much of 2011, but the mid-October release of the iPhone 4S caused smartphone activations amongst Good's customers to skyrocket. In the top 10 enterprise activations by device type, the iPhone 4S clinched the #1 spot in Q4, followed by the iPhone 4 at #2 and the iPad 2 at #3. Android grew steadily in absolute terms and accounted for 35 percent of smartphone activations, but only 6 percent of tablet activations. The Samsung Galaxy SII was the top Android device at #6, followed by the Motorola Droid Bionic, Motorola Droid 3, Sprint EVO 4G (Q3's most popular Android device), and Motorola Droid X2.
"As we expected, iPhone activations slowed in Q3 in anticipation of the iPhone 4S and then jumped significantly immediately after its launch, with 31 percent of Q4 activations coming from that device alone," said John Herrema , Good Technology's SVP Corporate Strategy. "Android continues to be driven by smartphone activations and we expect to see continued Android growth in 2012 as Good's customers continue to ramp up their BYOD programs."
Key findings from Good Technology's Q4 2011 Data Report include:
- Good's enterprise end users are showing clear preference for Apple products, especially in the tablet category. Collectively, iOS devices accounted for over 70 percent of all activations in Q4, roughly the same as Q3 2011.
- Apple dominated in the tablet market, with the iPad and iPad 2 accounting for 94 percent of total tablet activations in Q4 2011. This compares to 6 percent for Android tablets, where the Samsung Galaxy Tab has consistently been the most popular Android tablet among Good's users.
- Among the top 10 industry verticals, financial services continued to see the highest level of iPad activation, accounting for 42 percent for the quarter - roughly 4 times the amount of mobile devices as any other industry.
- iPads were activated most in three industries: Financial Services, Business/Professional Services and Life Sciences.
- Despite Android's overall market share growth and steady absolute growth among Good's customers, just 35 percent of all Good smartphone activations were on Android, compared to iPhone's 65 percent.
- There is no clear handset leader in the Android smartphone market, however 4G models such as the Samsung Galaxy S ll, Motorola Droid Bionic, Motorola Droid 3, Sprint EVo 4G (Q3's most popular Android device) and Motorola Droid X2 made this quarter's Top 10 list.
Looking ahead to Q1 and Q2 2012, Good Technology expects to see a similar pattern where iPad and iPad 2 activations slow heading into March, when the iPad 3 is rumored to launched, followed by a bump when the iPad 3 is released. If previous patterns hold, Good also expects Android smartphone activations to increase on a relative basis in Q1 and Q2 as the immediate impact of the iPhone 4S lessens, and as BYOD programs increasingly become the norm among Good's customers. As Good reported in November 2011, over 70 percent of its largest customers already support BYOD and another 19 percent indicated they were either considering, or had specific plans to support BYOD within the next 6-12 months.
About Good Technology
Good Technology combines award-winning enterprise-grade mobile security and control with an exceptional user experience, allowing enterprise and government employees to connect, communicate, and collaborate on iPads™, iPhones®, Androids™ and other leading smartphone platforms. Good opens new possibilities for maximizing business and personal productivity by providing secure, easy-to-use, and instant mobile access to email, collaboration, application, document editing and device management capabilities on iOS and Android devices. Good also enables secure mobile application development. Discover more at www.good.com.
Spark PR for Good Technology
(C) 2011 Good Technology, Inc. and its related entities. All rights reserved. GOOD, GOOD TECHNOLOGY, the GOOD logo, GOOD FOR ENTERPRISE, GOOD FOR GOVERNMENT, GOOD FOR YOU, GOOD DYNAMICS, AND SECURED BY GOOD are trademarks of Good Technology, Inc. and its related entities. All third-party trademarks, trade names, or service marks may be claimed as the property of their respective owners. Good's products and technology and products are protected by U.S. patents and various other foreign patents. Other patents pending.
iPad and , iPhone and iPod touch are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. Android is a trademark of Google Inc.
SOURCE Good Technology
More by this Source
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.