EDINBURGH, Scotland, Feb. 1, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Weather forecasters are predicting that we're in for more wintery conditions on the roads in the coming weeks*. To make sure you don't spend time on the hard shoulder, there are a few simple measures you can take to ensure that your car is truly "winter ready" and help avoid the dreaded car breakdown.
It's advisable to give your car a good check over on a regular basis, not just before starting a journey, for safe and economical driving all year round. Make sure you check:
- Battery - Battery problems are the number one cause of breakdowns at any time of year. Make sure you service your car regularly and replace an old, tired battery before it lets you down
- Tyres - Incorrectly inflated tyres are not only un-safe, they wear out faster and can increase fuel consumption by around 5%. If you're driving with extra passengers or luggage, remember to increase your tyre pressure accordingly
- Oil - Don't wait for the red oil pressure warning light to come on before checking your oil levels, engine damage may already have occurred by then
- Water - Overheating is a common cause of breakdowns so check the coolant level regularly. Make sure you also top up the windscreen washer fluid, ensuring it contains an antifreeze agent
- Lights - Clean all exterior lights regularly and check for blown bulbs
Be sure to have comprehensive car breakdown cover and the phone number stored in a safe place. For information on Tesco Breakdown Cover, visit http://www.tescofinance.com/personal/finance/insurance/breakdown/index.jsp.
Notes to editors
*According to metoffice.gov.uk UK weather forecast as at 31 January 2011.
Tesco Breakdown Cover is provided by RAC Motoring Services and/or RAC Insurance Limited.
- Tesco Bank is the UK's largest supermarket bank. Since our launch in 1997, we have grown to 6.5 million customer accounts across 28 financial products and services.
- Our principal activities are: general insurance - motor, home, pet and travel; credit cards and personal loans; personal savings; Tesco Compare and a network of cash machines (ATMs).
- We sell our products through multiple channels including in-store, by telephone and online.
- Tesco Bank is fully owned by Tesco plc.
- Tesco Bank is a trading name of Tesco Personal Finance plc. Registered in Scotland No. 173199. Registered Address: Interpoint Building, 22 Haymarket Yards, Edinburgh, EH12 5BH
SOURCE Tesco Bank