Island Doctors launches diabetes awareness campaign to manage and prevent the condition throughout NE Florida
Physician group fights rising epidemic outside the exam room through community awareness, education, and screenings.
ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla., July 15, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Island Doctors today announced the launch of an aggressive diabetes awareness campaign to help prevent and better manage diabetes in Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Palatka, Palm Coast and Daytona Beach, FL. The Island Doctors community relations teams will set up complimentary health screenings (glucose, hypertension, & BMI), offer educational information, and a physician lecture series on prevention and treatment.
Diabetes affects approximately 26 million lives in the US, with nearly half of them being senior citizens. The reality of America's obesity and diabetes epidemics and their resulting effects on national health care costs are well-established. Unfortunately, diagnosis often comes 7 to 10 years after the onset of the disease, after disabling and even deadly complications have had time to develop.
"It's never too late to improve health. Many can avoid the condition with a few simple lifestyle modifications. There are others who need more medical counseling and coaching, than they get from a routine office visit. This epidemic is important enough for us to come out of the office, creatively generate awareness, and provide healthy options that will enhance seniors quality of life," stated Roy Hinman II, MD, Chief Medical Officer for Island Doctors.
Island Doctors has several events on the horizon that address diabetes. All of them focus on prevention and treatment. Some include complimentary health screenings and/or a physician lecture series entitled, "Handle on Health":
- July 17, 2013 3p-5p "Cheers to your Health" Location: Allegro Senior Living, St. Augustine, FL.
- July 25, 2013 6p-7p "Island Doctors Weigh Down" Crescent City, FL.
- August 2, 2013 6p-10p "Jacksonville Senior Prom" Location: Prime Osborn Center, Jacksonville, FL.
- August 10, 2013 11a-2p "Bridging the Gap Health and Education Expo" Ocean way, Jacksonville, FL.
- August 10, 2013 2p-8p "Veterans Appreciation Day" St. Augustine VFW, St. Augustine, FL.
- August 13, 2013 12p-1p "Talk to Doc" (Broadcast) WSOS 99.5 FM/ 1170 AM, St. Augustine, FL.
- August 22, 2013 7a-730a "Diabetes Interview with Dr. Keller" Broadcast WSBB 1230/1490 AM New Smyrna Beach, FL.
- August 26, 2013 8a The Council on Aging Championship Golf Tournament. World Golf Village. St. Augustine, FL.
- August 29, 2013 11a-2p "Diabetes Awareness Symposium and Open House" New Smyrna Beach, FL.
- September 28, 2013 8a-1:30p "Breast Cancer and Health Symposium" Jacksonville Omni Hotel, Jacksonville, FL.
About Island Doctors
Island Doctors is a leading provider of medical care to seniors in North East Florida. Our mission is to help seniors achieve optimal health status through education, meal planning, exercise, smoking cessation, and cholesterol management.
If you would like more information about this topic, or have an event in your community that Island Doctors can partner with, please call Marcus Williams at 904/794-2711 or email Marcus at firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact: Marcus Williams
Island Doctors Phone: (904) 794-2711
Fax: (904) 794-2715
2460 Old Moultrie Rd. Ste. 4 St. Augustine, FL 32086
SOURCE Island Doctors
More by this Source
Island Doctors host "Diabetes Awareness Weekend" across NE Florida
Oct 11, 2013, 12:41 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.