It's 7-Eleven® Day...Get Down with your Slurpee® Self! 7-Eleven Celebrates 86th Birthday with Free Small Slurpee Drinks and Dance Party
DALLAS, July 9, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- 7-Eleven, Inc. has choreographed a super-cool celebration to mark its 86th birthday Thursday, July 11 (that's 7/11, btw), better known by fans of its popular frozen drink as Free Slurpee® Day. Big things are in store and online for the festivities:
- Free small Slurpee drinks -- That's a full 12 ounces, almost double the previous years' 7.11-ounce size. Offered from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time on Thursday, July 11, at participating 7-Eleven® stores in the U.S. and Canada
- Slurpee dance -- To celebrate means to dance, and to celebrate free Slurpee drinks means to Slurpee dance. YouTube dancing phenom Nathan Barnatt has posted his own version of the Slurpee dance as well as how-to videos on www.7-eleven.com/slurpeedance and YouTube. To party down publicly, fans are encouraged to download the Slurpee Dance theme song, follow Nathan's lead or make up their own moves and post to 7-Eleven's Facebook fan page, on Twitter, YouTube or Vine with the tag @slurpee #slurpeedance.
- Fab flavors -- This year's summer's featured Slurpee flavors are made in the shade, or made for the shade – specifically Slurpee Strawberry Lemonshade and Slurpee Lite™ Sugar-Free Mango Lemonade.
- Party favors-- The tiny party hats are back, along with tiny dancers, and assorted human-size bows and bands (for heads and wrists). Download the party paraphernalia at www.7-eleven.com/SlurpeeDance. Print, cut out, affix and party down.
- Slurpee swag -- Slurpee fans can show their true colors by purchasing Slurpee-branded merchandise, available at participating 7-Eleven stores with mix-and-match promotional pricing. Hats and sandals are two for $8.99 or $5.99 each, while T-shirts and tank tops are two for $11.99, or $8.99 each. Neon-colored Slurpee sunglasses also are available for $4.99 a pair. Previously, all merchandise was only available through the Slurpee Rewards catalog.
- Motivational chinchilla! -- Those needing a little extra motivation to get their groove on can download Pam, the motivational chinchilla with four affirming phrases. Because everyone needs a little encouragement, especially from a cute, fuzzy animal.
- Keep up with what's 'APP'-ening -- Download the 7-Eleven app at the iTunes store or Google Play to take advantage of all the #Awesummer freebies and exclusive deals and special offers available all summer long. New ones are announced each week.
- Star-Studded Birthday Beach Bash! -- Actress Nikki Reed, best known for playing Rosalie Hale in the "Twilight" movie saga, threw a birthday beach bash this week for 7-Eleven at a Malibu beach house, complete with giant Slurpee cup sandcastle art created by award-winning sand sculptor Mark Mason and the Sandtastic team, music and, of course, the Slurpee Dance.
"I have loved Slurpees since I was a kid," said Reed. "I'm really excited that this year I get to celebrate 7-Eleven's birthday by throwing them a birthday party."
"7-Eleven Day, July 11, occurs at the approximate midpoint of summer and the Slurpee season when summer fun is in high gear. It also marks a milestone for 7-Eleven when we raise a collective Slurpee toast and dance a crazy dance to celebrate our birthday and all things 7-Eleven," said Laura Gordon, 7-Eleven vice president of marketing and brand innovation. "We promised #Awesummer this year with more fun, more free stuff and more surprises, and summer is far from over. There's lots more to come."
July 11 marks the day that the world's No. 1 convenience retailer celebrates its many milestones. 7-Eleven, the world's first convenience store, began its run in the summer of 1927 when a Southland Ice Company employee started selling bread, milk and eggs on an ice dock in a Dallas suburb. Since that inauspicious start, "convenience" has become big business. The small ice company has grown into a major international retailing chain with approximately 10,100 7-Eleven stores in North America and more than 50,700 stores worldwide.
7-Eleven has celebrated its birthday on July 11 for decades, but it wasn't until its 75th birthday in 2002 that its stores began hosting birthday parties coast-to-coast with free Slurpee drinks for its customers.
About 7-Eleven, Inc.
7-Eleven, Inc. is the premier name and largest chain in the convenience retailing industry. Based in Dallas, Texas,7-Eleven operates, franchises or licenses more than 10,100 7-Eleven® stores in North America. Globally, 7-Eleven has some 50,700 stores in 16 countries. During 2012, 7-Eleven stores generated total worldwide sales close to $84.8 billion. 7-Eleven has been honored by a number of companies and organizations recently. Accolades include: #2 on Forbes magazine's 2011 list of Top Franchises for the Money; #3 spot on Entrepreneur magazine's Franchise 500 list for 2012, #3 in Forbes magazine's Top 20 Franchises to Start; #2 in Franchise Times Top 200 Franchise Companies. 7-Eleven is No. 3 on Fast Company magazine's 2013 list of the "World's Top 10 Most Innovative Companies in Retail" and among the Top Veteran-Friendly Companies for 2013 by U.S. Veterans Magazine. Hispanic Magazine named 7-Eleven among its Hispanic Corporate Top 100 Companies that provide the most opportunities to Hispanics. 7-Eleven received the 2010 Retailer of the Year honor from PL Buyer because of the company's private-label brand initiative. 7-Eleven is franchising its stores in the U.S. and expanding through organic growth, acquisitions and its Business Conversion Program. Find out more online at www.7-Eleven.com.
SOURCE 7-Eleven, Inc.