It's National Pet Week: Protect Your Pets by Taking the Bite Out of Flea and Tick Season
READING, Pa., May 7, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- In recognition of National Pet Week (May 5-11, 2013), which promotes responsible pet ownership and celebrates the human-animal bond, the Rentokil companies – Ehrlich Pest Control, Western Exterminator and Presto-X Pest Control – have shared their top six steps that people can take to protect their pets and family from the risks associated with fleas and ticks.
"Depending on your local climate, fleas and ticks may be a seasonal or a year-round problem," said Nancy Troyano, PhD, BCE, Training Manager/Entomologist for Rentokil Pest Control – North America. "Fleas love warm, humid weather, and they can cause serious health problems for your pet, such as flea allergy dermatitis, stress, weight loss, infections from scratching, and anemia."
Fleas are also a hazard to the home. "Female fleas can lay up to 50 eggs a day on your pet," Troyano explained. "These eggs will fall from your pet onto your household furniture, your floors, and your pet's bed. So if you have a flea issue, it is important not only to protect your pet, but also your home."
Ticks are another important concern this time of year. They live in shrubs, and wooded or grassy areas, and they seek out dogs or cats when your pet goes outside. "Tick bites are a serious problem, as they can spread many infectious diseases to domestic animals and humans, including Lyme disease and Rocky Mountain spotted fever," added Troyano.
Troyano has identified six important steps that you can take to protect your beloved pet, and your home, from the risks associated with fleas and ticks:
- Watch for signs that your pet is excessively scratching, chewing, or licking its fur, which may indicate an infestation.
- Look for fleas, ticks, or coat problems when grooming your pet, particularly after your pet visits grassy or wooded areas where contact with ticks is likely.
- If you suspect your home is infested with fleas, vacuum your carpets, floors, baseboards, upholstered furniture, and any other area your pet inhabits every day for several weeks. A pest control specialist can treat your home and yard for fleas, too, and will pay special attention to the areas where your dog or cat spends most of its time.
- If you see any signs of fleas or ticks, wash pet bedding and any human bedding in hot, soapy water.
- To avoid ticks, choose a recreation zone for your family and your pets away from shrubs, tall grasses, leaf litter, and other vegetation. Your pest control professional can also treat the perimeter around your home to create a tick barrier.
- Don't host the hosts. Since ticks and fleas love all animals, take steps to discourage small animals, such as mice, skunks, and raccoons by not leaving a food source available outdoors, such as pet food.
Ask your veterinarian about the best ways to protect your pet from fleas and ticks – and whether control products, like collars or topical applications, are an appropriate and safe choice for your pet.
"Taking the steps your veterinarian recommends, and understanding how to monitor for an infestation, are your most important defenses when it comes to keeping your pets and home safe from fleas and ticks," Troyano stated. "We also recommend working closely with your pest control professional, as they can provide you with expert advice and detailed instructions to help you avoid or solve a flea or tick issue."
About Rentokil North America
Ehrlich Pest Control (http://www.jcehrlich.com/), Western Exterminator (www.westernexterminator.com), and Presto-X Pest Control (www.prestox.com) are all part of the Rentokil family of companies in North America. They provide commercial and residential pest control, bioremediation, bird control, vegetation management, deer repellent services, wild animal trapping, and termite control from more than 150 local offices in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. Rentokil is the world's largest commercial pest control company, operating in 49 countries worldwide. For more information, visit www.rentokil.com/us.
SOURCE Rentokil North America
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.