Free festival admission this Victoria Day weekend for Ontario's 150th anniversary
TORONTO, May 4, 2017 /PRNewswire/ - As part of Ontario's 150th anniversary festivities, Ontario Place welcomes guests to enjoy the Culinary Ontario festival. Taking place Victoria Day weekend from Friday, May 19 to Monday, May 22, the free admission event will offer a gourmet celebration highlighting Ontario's diverse culinary culture amidst a variety of activities, entertainment and locally sourced products.
"Ontario's 150th anniversary is an opportunity to celebrate the incredible province we live in — and what better way to celebrate than enjoying the best of Ontario's food and drink," said Eleanor McMahon, Minister of Tourism, Culture and Sport. "I'm very excited to invite Ontarians and visitors alike to join the festivities at Ontario Place and explore the waterfront with friends and family."
The Culinary Ontario festival will take place on the West Island of Ontario Place and feature a uniquely Ontario experience with food trucks and beverage stations, art installations and live music, including:
- Cedar Market: A shipping container village will feature a farmer's market, small tasting plates and artisanal prepared foods for purchase
- Local and Emerging Chefs: Featuring both well-known chefs and emerging talent, visitors will experience multi-ethnic cooking demonstrations and unique experiences and tastes
- Ontario Flavours: A sampling zone for guests to experience daily tasting and pairing events from local food, wine, cider and beer vendors
- Children's Cooking Competition: Kids can participate in a fun cook-off to make their version of a favourite Canadian dish
- Best of Ontario Talent: The Main Stage and Emerging Artist Stage will host a variety of performances including musical talent, DJs, dance, spoken word and performance art, including:
- Tanika Charles on Friday, May 19
- Jarvis Church on Saturday, May 20
- Drone Night Show: A Canadian first, the Canadiana-inspired choreographed drone performance will light up Ontario Place on Saturday, May 20 at 11pm
- Ontario Innovates: Guests will be welcomed by unique stations that highlight some of Ontario's most innovative and family friendly technology contributions
- Ontario Celebrates: The Gift Shop will be converted into an Ontario Celebrates museum that will take guests through artifacts, stories, and key moments that have occurred in Canadian history over the past 150 years
- Ontario Educates: The Atom Blaster building will come alive and feature adult, youth, and kid friendly sessions that include cooking lessons, wellness education, and healthy lifestyle demonstrations
Stay tuned for more to come about the Culinary Ontario festival as well as other events, festivals and activities taking place at Ontario Place this summer.
About Ontario Place
Ontario Place is an agency of the Government of Ontario that features 155-acres of waterfront property in Toronto. The iconic location is a venue for live music, festivals and events. From enjoying the skyline, to attending a festival or concert — Ontario Place is a gathering space for everyone in the province. In 2017, Ontario Place will host a series of events on the West Island as part of Ontario150, the province's celebration of Ontario and Canada's 150th anniversary of Confederation.
For more information about Ontario Place please visit www.ontarioplace.com
Join the Conversation: #OntarioPlace #Ontario150 #OPfestivals
SOURCE Ontario Place