PORTLAND, Maine, March 11, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- iVantage Health Analytics today released its latest rankings of the top performing Critical Access Hospitals as determined by the company's Hospital Strength Index™. The Top 100 Critical Access Hospitals are the nation's best rural safety-net institutions. The Hospital Strength Index is a comprehensive scorecard that evaluates: market conditions, clinical and operational performance, and financial and qualitative outcomes.
HealthStrong™ Top 100 Critical Access Hospital List included here.
Findings of the iVantage Health Analytics study on the nation's Critical Access Hospitals (CAHs) shed new, multi-dimensional light on the characteristics of the Top 100 performing CAHs. The 2013 "Benchmark Performance for Critical Access Hospitals" study is a trending study of the rural hospital industry. Key findings from the study include:
- Top 100 CAHs include 60 multi-year Top Performers with 40 new facilities joining the ranks in 2013;
- Top 100 CAHs perform as well or better at the median overall than the full census of all U.S. general acute care hospitals;
- Top 100 CAHs are disproportionately located in the Northern half of the United States with nearly one third located in three contiguous Upper Midwest states (13 in Wisconsin; 9 in Minnesota; 9 in Iowa);
- Top 100 CAHs face the least population-based demand for future healthcare services while their Quality is near the Top Quartile when compared to all U.S. general acute care hospitals;
- Top 100 CAH performance is in the Top Quartile of all U.S. general acute care hospitals in the Financial and Cost & Charge categories of the study; and
- Top 100 CAHs are equally divided in terms of organizational structure – (52% are independent; 48% are system-affiliated).
Small and rural hospitals play a critical role in providing efficient and effective healthcare that is on par with other larger suburban and urban counterparts. "Rural hospitals have new and difficult demands that are best managed with actionable information. The Hospital Strength Index reflects the multiple challenges of running a hospital by incorporating the measures on which the industry has worked to gain consensus and standardization," said John Morrow, executive vice president of iVantage Health Analytics, Inc.
The Hospital Strength Index™, a national ratings and analytics program developed by iVantage Health Analytics, rates 4,400+ US general acute care hospitals, including the 1,300+ Critical Access Hospitals. The Index is based on eight performance categories measuring 56 different performance metrics. The Index offers hospital executives, boards of directors and communities an objective way to measure their relative performance internally and among their peers.
About iVantage Health Analytics
iVantage Health Analytics™ is a privately held healthcare business intelligence and technology company serving more than 500 hospitals across the United States. The company provides business intelligence solutions by integrating disparate market, clinical, operational, and financial data into a single, enterprise-wide platform to support executive level decision-making. For more information, visit www.iVantageHealth.com.
Vice President, Marketing
SOURCE iVantage Health Analytics