Jackson Hewitt® Professionals in Office and Walmart Locations Assist Last-Minute Tax Filers With Extended Hours and Eleventh-Hour Questions
PARSIPPANY, N.J., April 11, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- With only a week left to file a 2010 tax return before the April 18, 2011, deadline, Jackson Hewitt Tax Service® announces that many offices and kiosks at Walmart stores nationwide will offer extended morning, evening and weekend hours to assist taxpayers with filing a return, answering last-minute questions, filing for an extension, and more.
For taxpayers who have not yet filed, the key is to be prepared and focused to ensure tax returns are filed accurately, efficiently and with all necessary information and materials.
"We know as the deadline approaches, many taxpayers will feel overwhelmed and won't know where to begin," said Mark Steber, chief tax officer, Jackson Hewitt Tax Service Inc. "With many offices offering extended hours, Jackson Hewitt tax preparers are ready to assist taxpayers with everything necessary to file a 2010 tax return or file an extension."
Steber also notes that there are a variety of common questions that last-minute filers ask, including:
- What do I need to bring in order to get my taxes done? Not sure what documents are needed? Jackson Hewitt provides a list of items needed for filing a tax return. Some of the key documents include:
- Wage Statements (Form W-2)
- Form 1099
- All other income amounts
- Unemployment compensation received (Form W-2G)
- Social Security Card(s)
- Driver's License(s)
- Dependents' social security numbers and dates of birth
- Last year's federal and state tax returns; last year's state refund amount (if applicable)
- Mortgage interest paid and real estate taxes (Form 1098)
- Total of all cash and non-cash charitable contributions
- Any records to support your deductions
- Form HUD-1 or its equivalent if filing for a First-Time Homeowner Credit
- How can I be sure to get my biggest refund possible? From benefits relating to life changes experienced in 2010, to new and extended tax laws, knowing which credits and deductions can be claimed can help maximize a tax refund or reduce taxes owed. "With so many tax law changes every year, working with a knowledgeable tax preparer can help taxpayers claim what they qualify for and avoid leaving money on the table," noted Steber.
- What is my fastest option for filing? IRS e-file is not only faster than mailing a tax return; it's also more accurate and includes a confirmation of receipt, so taxpayers know their returns have been received before the deadline. When e-filing and using direct deposit into a bank account, taxpayers can receive a refund in as little as 8 to 15 days. Jackson Hewitt provides free electronic filing with paid tax preparation.
- What if I owe, but can't afford to pay? If a taxpayer is unable to pay the full amount of taxes owed, it is important to pay as much as possible to avoid increased penalties and interest. Taxpayers should speak with a tax preparer about various payment options such as the IRS Installment Agreement, payment by credit card, and scheduled direct debit from a checking or savings account.
- What is an extension, and how do I know if I need one? A knowledgeable tax preparer can help taxpayers assess whether there are taxes due and help them determine whether or not they need to file for a six-month extension to October 17, 2011. "It's important to note that an extension of time to file is not an extension of time to pay," cautions Steber. "To avoid penalties, taxpayers filing an extension must pay 90 percent or more of their estimated tax liability on or before April 18, 2011."
"During these final days, it's all about helping last-minute taxpayers with their concerns so that they take the right steps and file correctly, even in their rush to meet the deadline," said Steber. "Taxpayers can visit the Jackson Hewitt website to use the office locator tool or call 1-800-234-1040 to find a nearby, convenient office to assist them in filing their tax return on time."
About Jackson Hewitt Tax Service Inc.
Based in Parsippany, N.J., Jackson Hewitt Tax Service Inc. (NYSE: JTX) is an industry leading provider of full service individual federal and state income tax preparation, with franchised and company-owned office locations throughout the United States. Jackson Hewitt Tax Service® also offers an online tax preparation product at www.jacksonhewittonline.com. For more information, or to locate the Jackson Hewitt® office nearest to you, visit www.jacksonhewitt.com or call 1-800-234-1040. Jackson Hewitt can also be found on Facebook and Twitter.
SOURCE Jackson Hewitt Tax Service
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.