JACKSON, Miss., Nov. 28, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Jackson State defensive end Javancy Jones was the top vote getter and winner of the fan voting segment of the 2016 C Spire Conerly Trophy, which annually honors the top college football player in Mississippi, it was announced Monday.
Jones, a senior from Noxubee County, received 3,335 votes from fans, which counts for 10 percent of the award. Ole Miss senior tight end Evan Engram finished second with 2,862 votes and Mississippi State senior wide receiver Fred Ross was third with 1,995 votes. A panel of statewide sports media representatives decide the remaining 90 percent of the award.
Nearly 11,000 votes were cast for the 10 finalists from Magnolia state public colleges and universities via social media and text messaging during the week-long fan voting period sponsored by C Spire and the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame and Museum. This year's overall winner will be announced at a special banquet Tuesday night in Clarksdale, Mississippi.
About C Spire
C Spire is a diversified telecommunications and technology services company that provides world-class customer-inspired service and a superior comprehensive suite of customer-inspired wireless communications, high-speed Internet access and a range of other telecommunications products and services to consumers and businesses. This news release and other announcements are available at www.cspire.com/news. For more information about C Spire, visit www.cspire.com or follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/cspire or Twitter at www.twitter.com/cspire.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/jackson-state-defensive-end-javancy-jones-wins-fan-voting-portion-of-c-spire-conerly-trophy-honoring-mississippis-top-college-football-player-300369144.html
SOURCE C Spire