BALTIMORE, Jan. 17, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The last of the boomers—the largest, most influential and affluent American demographic in history—will turn 50 in 2014, and the first have already crossed 66. RLTV, the only cable network and online destination for adults 50+, and AARP, the largest nonpartisan organization that helps people 50+ have independence, choice and control in ways that are beneficial to them and society as a whole, present two special programming events hosted by Emmy Award-winning television journalist and AARP contributor Jane Pauley, on Thursday, Jan. 31 and Feb. 7 from 9-10 PM ET, devoted to the 80-million strong boomer generation and its continuing and unprecedented influence:
- Boomers 2.0: A Generation Re-Imagined, premiering January 31 at 9pm ET, is a compelling documentary that explores the tremendous impact this demographic has on society, and looks forward to how boomers are changing the rules and re-inventing the face of aging.
- Rethink 50+ Town Hall, premiering February 7 at 9pm ET, features Pauley moderating a revealing discussion with a panel of thought leaders and industry experts, who explore the changing landscape of media and marketing as it relates to the generation that literally grew up along with the television industry.
These two special nights of programming are produced in partnership with AARP.
"At RLTV, we celebrate and showcase every day the experience, wisdom and vitality that 50+ consumers bring to life," said RLTV President and CEO Paul FitzPatrick. "We've teamed up with AARP to create these compelling programs to share with our viewers, distributors and advertisers the fascinating insights that we have acquired about the future of the boomer generation, which will continue to be as relevant and vibrant as ever for the next 30 years."
"Boomers control 75 percent of the wealth in this country, and it is clear that this discerning age group intends to redefine aging, keep spending money and doing interesting and fulfilling things for many years to come," said FitzPatrick. "We are honored to join with AARP in these television events to draw attention to boomers' continuing influence and relevance."
Boomers 2.0: A Generation Re-Imagined examines how boomers today are in fact reinventing themselves in many areas, including careers, multi-generational caretaking, and in leisure pursuits, using their experience as the basis for these changes. The special takes a look at how the 50+ generation is tuned in to technology, and living longer, better lives – from fitness and health care to retirement planning – and how this reinvention is spawning a huge new marketplace.
Those interviewed for the documentary include:
- AARP Foundation President Jo Ann Jenkins;
- AARP The Magazine's Editor-in-Chief Nancy Perry Graham;
- Agency Five-O founder Brent Bouchez;
- BoomAgers founder Peter Hubbell;
- Boom! Cosmetics Founder and CEO Cindy Joseph;
- Boston College economist Alicia Munnell;
- Green Ride co-founders Bob Flynn and Ray Schofield.
- Lifestyle gerontologist Dr. Alexis Abramson;
- MIT Age Lab's Joe Coughlin; and
- NBC Research President Alan Wurtzel.
Rethink 50+ Town Hall - For most of their lives, Boomers have been in the sweet spot for advertisers. Programmers have created content for this audience since they were children. However, Boomers have aged out of the traditional 18-49 advertising demo, and many marketers and content providers are just beginning to come to grips with the economic power and the sophistication of the growing 50+ market. Rethink 50+ is a Town Hall discussion featuring a panel of experts from the media and marketing worlds focused on how the marketing and media worlds are responding to this most powerful of demographics. Are Boomers, being overlooked or are they holding their own in a youth-obsessed culture? What are the results for the marketers and content producers who are creating new paradigms to reach this audience?
Two panels will address content and marketing issues. Panelists include:
- AARP The Magazine's Editor-in-Chief Nancy Perry Graham;
- BBDO New York Managing Director Kirsten Flanik;
- CBS Chief Research Officer David Poltrack;
- Former TV One, Discovery Networks and CBS Television Stations Group President Johnathan Rodgers;
- NBC Research President Alan Wurtzel;
- New York Times Advertising Columnist Stuart Elliot;
- Starcom Mediavest Group LiquidThread Global President Brian Terkelson;
- Film and Theater Critic Jeffrey Lyons; and
- United Healthcare Chief Marketing Officer Terry Clark.
Boomers 2.0 will re-air immediately preceding Rethink 50+ on Feb. 7 at 8 PM (all times ET). For additional air dates and times for these two specials, visit www.rl.tv.
Boomers 2.0 is produced for RLTV by NBC Universal's Peacock Productions. Rethink 50+ is produced by Jay Garfinkel and filmed at ABC's Time Square Studios.
About Jane Pauley
Host Jane Pauley, Emmy Award Winning Broadcast journalist and former co-anchor of NBC's TODAY show and DATELINE, will lead this lively panel discussion. Currently, Jane is AARP's TODAY show contributor with a monthly series, LIFE REIMAGINED, shining a spotlight on people 50+ who are reinventing themselves in new and different ways.
AARP is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization, with a membership of more than 37 million, that helps people 50+ have independence, choice and control in ways that are beneficial to them and society as a whole. AARP does not endorse candidates for public office or make contributions to either political campaigns or candidates. We produce AARP The Magazine, the definitive voice for Americans 50+ and the world's largest-circulation magazine; AARP Bulletin, the go-to news source for the 50+ audience; www.aarp.org; AARP VIVA, a bilingual lifestyle multimedia platform addressing the interests and needs of Hispanic Americans; and national television and radio programming. The AARP Foundation is an affiliated charity that provides security, protection, and empowerment to older persons in need with support from thousands of volunteers, donors, and sponsors. AARP has staffed offices in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Learn more at www.aarp.org.
The only cable network and online destination created specifically for adults 50+, RLTV (www.rl.tv) offers unique, inspiring programming that mature, experienced and knowledgeable viewers desire and appreciate. The network's Emmy Award–winning content focuses on topics that matter to Generation 50+ — from relationships, reinvention, rediscovering passions and retirement, to finances, health, and current events. At RLTV, it's all about rethinking life beyond 50.
RLTV. Experience Matters.