Jersey Central Power & Light App Can Be Used to Report Service Interruptions Caused By Nor'easter
MORRISTOWN, N.J., Feb. 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- If the wet, heavy snow and strong winds from the nor'easter cause power interruptions, Jersey Central Power & Light's (JCP&L) mobile optimized website and new mobile app can be used by customers to report their outages and learn about the company's overall restoration efforts.
The free app is available for Apple® iPhone® and Android™ smartphones. JCP&L customers can use the keyword "FirstEnergy" to locate the apps in the online store. A new mobile website is also available to customers who use a smartphone to visit www.jcp-l.com
Features of the website and app include:
- A simple power outage reporting process and access to the company's 24/7 Power Center outage maps;
- A click-to-call feature to reach customer service and links to the company's social media sites;
- One-click access to the full company website from each page of the mobile site.
Even if a customer's home is without power as a result of severe weather, mobile phones can be charged with a car charger. By using a smartphone, customers will continue to have online access until JCP&L is able to restore electric service.
In a large-scale weather event such as the nor'easter, JCP&L encourages customers to plan ahead for the possibility of electric service interruptions by following these tips:
Safety Tips During Outages
- Customers who are without power are encouraged to call 1-888-LIGHTSS (1-888-544-4877) to report the outage.
- Keep flashlights and fresh batteries in the home. Avoid using candles, especially around children and pets.
- If you have a water well and pump, keep an emergency supply of bottled water and/or fill your bathtub with fresh water.
- Make sure you have a portable radio so you can stay tuned to your local radio station for updates on our progress to restore power.
- Stock an emergency supply of convenience foods that do not require cooking.
- Have a hard-wired telephone or a charged cell phone handy in the event you need to report your electricity is out.
- Gather extra blankets or a sleeping bag for each person.
- Do not use gas stoves, kerosene heaters or other open-flame appliances as heat sources - they can cause deadly carbon monoxide gas to build up in your home.
- Customers should immediately report downed wires to JCP&L or local police or fire department. Customers should never go near a downed power line, even if they think it's no longer carrying electricity.
- Don't try to remove trees or tree limbs from power lines. Wait for utility crews to arrive.
- Emergency power generators offer an option for customers needing or wanting uninterrupted service. However, to ensure the safety of the home's occupants as well as that of utility company employees who may be working on power lines in the area, the proper generator should be selected and installed by a qualified electrician. When operating a generator, the power coming into the home should always be disconnected. Otherwise, power from the generator could be sent back onto the utility lines, creating a hazardous situation for utility workers.
JCP&L is a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. (NYSE: FE). JCP&L serves 1.1 million customers in the counties of Burlington, Essex, Hunterdon, Mercer, Middlesex, Monmouth, Morris, Ocean, Passaic, Somerset, Sussex, Union and Warren.
FirstEnergy is a diversified energy company dedicated to safety, reliability and operational excellence. Its 10 electric distribution companies form one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, serving customers in Maryland, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York and West Virginia. Its generation subsidiaries control more than 20,000 megawatts of capacity from a diversified mix of scrubbed coal, non-emitting nuclear, natural gas, hydro, pumped-storage hydro and other renewables. Follow FirstEnergy on Twitter @FirstEnergyCorp.
SOURCE FirstEnergy Corp.
More by this Source
FirstEnergy Announces Management Changes
Dec 18, 2013, 11:55 ET
New JCP&L Substation in Tewksbury Provides Local Power Source to Improve Service Reliability
Dec 11, 2013, 13:22 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.