BOSTON, Nov. 13, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- John Hancock Funds took home a total of eight awards, including two of the top awards for Overall Communications, at the recent STAR Awards event presented by the Mutual Fund Education Alliance (MFEA) in Chicago. Now in its 16th year, MFEA's STAR awards are presented annually in recognition of mutual fund companies that excel in education, marketing, and communications for shareholders, advisors, plan participants, and the investing public.
"We're proud to be so honored by our peers who comprise the judges' panel at MFEA, especially for our achievements in communications," said Andrew G. Arnott, President & CEO, John Hancock Funds. "At John Hancock, we are committed to continue expanding our suite of best in class materials, website and tools to help financial advisors communicate more effectively with their clients, and to help those clients develop a deeper grasp of investing and product choices available to them." He added: "Congratulations to the entire Marketing team as well as the Sales, Compliance, Product and IT contributors who all had a hand in developing our award-winning content."
John Hancock Funds won in the top categories of Overall Communications (Retail) and Overall Communications (Advisor), in both cases recognizing the fund firm with the best overall communications effort across all mediums. Regarding the Retail Communications Award, the Judges comments included: "All of Hancock's entries provide a consistent brand through an effective design and effective communication style. A very nice overall communications brand with proven success." Commenting on the Advisor Communications Award, Judges said: "John Hancock presentation and design is straight forward, delivering a consistent tone and branding approach. They continually achieve their marketing goals and provide appropriate tools for the Advisor. Outstanding job."
John Hancock also won six awards in individual categories. They are:
- Annual Report, awarded for the John Hancock Disciplined Value Mid Cap Fund (JVMAX). Judges comments: "Great job. Hancock made an SEC document look customized for the end investor. Definitely shareholder friendly."
- Shareholder Magazine Communication, awarded for "Admission" Magazine, which supports John Hancock's 529 College Savings business. Judges comments: "Educational and informative executed in a very engaging manner. Very well thought out. Excellent."
- Retail Website, awarded to www.jhfunds.com. Judges comments: "This site has a very impressive Asset Allocation module and interactive charts. It also offers current market indices. And everything looks great and is easy to navigate. A very nice website."
- Advisor Communication Campaign, awarded to the Alternative Investments Campaign. Judges comments: "From the white paper to the presentation to the webpage and on-line ads, this was a great campaign."
- Advisor Electronic Newsletter, awarded for "IO Connect." Judges comments: "This not only included excellent information/education but actionable advice. And it looks good, too. Very nice."
- Advisor Website, awarded for https://adviser.jhfunds.com. Judges comments: "A very impressive website. All the tools an adviser could need are effectively laid out in a very user friendly setting and elegant design. A fantastic resource."
About John Hancock Funds
The Boston-based mutual fund business unit of John Hancock Financial, John Hancock Funds manages more than $77.8 billion in open-end funds, closed-end funds, private accounts, college savings and retirement plans, and related party assets for individual and institutional investors as at September 30, 2012.
About John Hancock Financial and Manulife Financial Corporation
John Hancock Financial is a division of Manulife Financial, a leading Canada-based financial services group with principal operations in Asia, Canada and the United States. In 2012, John Hancock celebrates 150 years of serving clients across the United States, while Manulife Financial celebrates its 125th anniversary. Operating as Manulife Financial in Canada and Asia, and primarily as John Hancock in the United States, the Company offers clients a diverse range of financial protection products and wealth management services through its extensive network of employees, agents and distribution partners. Funds under management by Manulife Financial and its subsidiaries were C$515 billion (US$523 billion) as at September 30, 2012. Manulife Financial Corporation trades as 'MFC' on the TSX, NYSE and PSE, and under '945' on the SEHK. Manulife Financial can be found on the Internet at manulife.com.
The John Hancock unit, through its insurance companies, comprises one of the largest life insurers in the United States. John Hancock offers a broad range of financial products and services, including life insurance, annuities, fixed products, mutual funds, 401(k) plans, long-term care insurance, college savings, and other forms of business insurance. Additional information about John Hancock may be found at johnhancock.com.
SOURCE John Hancock Funds