JSC Contractor Partnership To Host Electronic Recycling Event
HOUSTON, Nov. 2, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Johnson Space Center Contractors Environmental Partnership will help local communities by hosting a free electronic recycling and document-shredding event from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 10, in the Space Center Houston parking lot.
Sims Recycling Solutions, a certified Responsible Recycler, is sponsoring the event, and Shred Pro will provide document-shredding services at the drop-off point, as space is available. This event is open to the public and allows anyone in the community to dispose of all electronics in an environmentally friendly manner. Several JSC contractor volunteers will support the event.
Examples of acceptable items, both working and non-working, include:
- Personal computers (includes desktop, PCs, laptops and workstations);
- Monitors and flat panel displays;
- Printers (ink and laser);
- All-in-Ones and scanners;
- Digital cameras;
- Handheld computers and portable music devices;
- Cords; and
- Digital entertainment and telecommunications equipment (VCRs and cell phones).
Unacceptable items include:
- Major appliances, including microwave ovens, TVs, washers and dryers;
- Paint, oil or car batteries; and
- Equipment containing radioactive materials, free-flowing liquids, chlorofluorocarbons, polychlorinated biphenyls or other "hazardous wastes."
There is no limit to the amount of items people can bring, and items collected will be recycled in North America. All materials will be handled in a legal, data secure, traceable and environmentally sustainable manner.
All documents in all quantities will be accepted for the document-shredding services. Boxes and containers will be returned to clients at time of service since shredding will take place at the drop-off point where participants can watch. Please make sure that all documents are:
- Free of metal binders (paper clips, staples and small wire bindings are acceptable);
- Free of other contaminants; and
If you have questions about the event, call NASA's Environmental Information Line at 281-483-6207.
For more information about NASA's Johnson Space Center, visit:
For more information about Sims Recycling Solutions, visit:
For more information about Shred Pro, visit: