OAKLAND, Calif., March 18, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Kaiser Permanente members in five geographic areas are, once again, more satisfied with their health plans than members of any other health plan, according to the J.D. Power 2016 Member Health Plan Study released this week.
The 10th annual study examines the experience of health plan members in six key areas: coverage and benefits, cost, provider choice, customer service, information and communication, and claims processing. According to the study, members' satisfaction in Kaiser Permanente's five regions continued to be ahead of the field:
- For the ninth consecutive year, Kaiser Permanente was ranked highest by members in California and Colorado.
- For the eighth consecutive year, Kaiser Permanente has ranked highest in the Mid-Atlantic Region.
- For the seventh consecutive year, Kaiser Permanente has ranked highest in the South Atlantic Region, which includes Kaiser Permanente of Georgia.
- For the third consecutive year, and in four of the past five years, Kaiser Permanente has ranked highest in the Northwest Region.
"We're honored to be rated highest in overall satisfaction by our members in this recent J.D. Power study," said Bernard J. Tyson, chairman and CEO of Kaiser Permanente. "Credit goes to our physicians, nurses, care teams and employees who work hard every day to deliver the best care and service possible. Our goal is to keep member service top of mind while delivering affordable, high-quality health care and coverage."
"We are extremely proud that year after year our members rate us highest in satisfaction and trust us with their care and coverage," said Arthur M. Southam, MD, executive vice president, Health Plan Operations, Kaiser Foundation Health Plan, Inc. and Kaiser Foundation Hospitals. "Our outstanding performance demonstrates that our model of care and coverage together can lead to the highest level of quality care and service."The J.D. Power 2016 Member Health Plan Study measures member satisfaction among 135 health plans in 18 regions throughout the United States.
"I am proud of our commitment to put the member front and center in all that we do here at Kaiser Permanente," said Pat Courneya, executive vice president and chief medical officer for Kaiser Foundation Health Plan, Inc. and Kaiser Foundation Hospitals. "Our outstanding results in this important study show where that sort of patient-centered focus leads – the highest rankings according to our customers."
The study reflects results of a survey conducted from October to December 2015 and completed by nearly 32,000 members of commercial health plans. Each health plan included in the J.D. Power 2016 Member Health Plan Study was measured on a scale of 1,000 points for overall member satisfaction. Details of the results in each of the regions where Kaiser Permanente ranked highest are outlined below:
- California Region: Kaiser Permanente earned an overall member satisfaction score of 775 points, 68 points above the average score for the region, and 63 points more than the next highest ranked health plan.
- Colorado Region: Kaiser Permanente earned 693 points, 15 points above the regional average and 12 points more than the next highest ranked health plan.
- Mid-Atlantic Region: Kaiser Permanente earned 749 points, 51 points above the regional average and 38 more than the next highest ranked health plan.
- South Atlantic Region: Kaiser Permanente earned 765 points, 77 points above the regional average and 53 more points than the next highest ranked plan.
- Northwest Region: Kaiser Permanente earned 734 points, 42 points higher than the regional average and 15 points higher than the next highest ranked plan.
Learn more about the study at http://www.jdpower.com.
This consumer satisfaction study by J.D. Power is the most recent in a string of accolades earned by Kaiser Permanente hospitals and health plans. In the past year:
- Kaiser Permanente commercial health plans received No. 1 rankings for 2015 in 21 effectiveness-of-care measures, far more than any other health plan in the nation, according to the National Committee for Quality Assurance's Quality Compass® dataset.
- Kaiser Permanente was rated by the National Committee for Quality Assurance as having the highest rated commercial health plans in all the markets it serves for 2015-16.
- Kaiser Permanente's health system, including its 38 hospitals, was honored with the "Living the Vision" award for excellence for its extraordinary commitment to quality of care by the Leapfrog Group.
About Kaiser Permanente
Kaiser Permanente is committed to helping shape the future of health care. We are recognized as one of America's leading health care providers and not-for-profit health plans. Founded in 1945, Kaiser Permanente has a mission to provide high-quality, affordable health care services and to improve the health of our members and the communities we serve. We currently serve more than 10 million members in eight states and the District of Columbia. Care for members and patients is focused on their total health and guided by their personal physicians, specialists and team of caregivers. Our expert and caring medical teams are empowered and supported by industry-leading technology advances and tools for health promotion, disease prevention, state-of-the-art care delivery and world-class chronic disease management. Kaiser Permanente is dedicated to care innovations, clinical research, health education and the support of community health. For more information, go to: kp.org/share.
For more information:
Marc Brown, email@example.com
SOURCE Kaiser Permanente