Kaiser Permanente Wins National Environmental Awards
This year's wealth of awards recognize health care organization's continued excellence in environmental stewardship
OAKLAND, Calif., April 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Kaiser Permanente has received a record 29 environmental excellence awards this year from Practice Greenhealth, the national membership organization for hospitals and health systems committed to environmentally responsible operations and care.
Among this year's awards, Kaiser Permanente again received Practice Greenhealth's System for Change Award, which recognizes health systems that are working to gather data, set system goals, benchmark and share successes in environmental performance. This will be the fourth time the health care organization has received the award. In addition, Kaiser Permanente's Roseville (Calif.) Medical Center has received the highest possible hospital award, becoming a member of Practice Greenhealth's Environmental Leadership Circle for exemplary work in addressing its environmental impact and implementing long-term sustainability features into its facilities.
"Kaiser Permanente understands that the health of the environment is inextricably linked to human health and the overall health of communities," said Raymond J. Baxter, PhD, senior vice president for Community Benefit, Research and Health Policy. "This award recognizes the tremendous efforts by Kaiser Permanente employees and physicians who work tirelessly to assure that our medical facilities and services are delivering health care in a manner that benefits our members, our communities and the environment."
Kaiser Permanente is a health care leader in saving energy, purchasing safer materials, sourcing sustainable food and reducing waste. For example, the organization has committed to aggressive targets for reducing greenhouse gas emissions through on-site renewable energy use and energy conservation measures; providing sustainable food for its patient meals; safe recycling of single-use medical devices to eliminate waste; and eliminating toxins such as DEHP and PVC from many of its medical supplies.
"We are thrilled to be receiving so many awards this year, and we are inspired by the growing network of hospitals and health care systems working to make progress in environmental stewardship," said Kathy Gerwig, Kaiser Permanente's vice president for workplace safety and environmental stewardship officer. "Only by working together toward common commitments, sharing best practices and driving for results can we truly move the health care sector toward full environmental sustainability."
"The wealth of awards that Kaiser Permanente is receiving this year demonstrates its strong commitment to the communities it serves to protect public health and preserve the environment," said Laura Wenger, RN, executive director of Practice Greenhealth. "The organization has worked diligently and consistently to support sustainable practices in health care and has become a model for many other hospitals and health care systems seeking to do the same."
Several Kaiser Permanente facilities and regions across the country received additional awards in recognition of their efforts to reduce waste and prevent pollution. The entire awards list is:
System for Change
- Kaiser Foundation Health Plan and Hospitals
Environmental Leadership Circle
- Kaiser Permanente Roseville (Calif.) Medical Center
Partner for Change Award
- Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of Colorado
- Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of Georgia
- Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of the Mid-Atlantic States
- Kaiser Permanente Santa Clara (Calif.) Medical Center (with distinction)
- Kaiser Permanente Antioch (Calif.) Medical Center
- Kaiser Permanente Walnut Creek (Calif.) Medical Center
- Kaiser Permanente Sacramento (Calif.) Medical Center
- Kaiser Permanente Fremont (Calif.) Medical Center
- Kaiser Permanente San Jose (Calif.) Medical Center
- Kaiser Permanente San Rafael (Calif.) Medical Center
- Kaiser Permanente South Sacramento (Calif.) Medical Center
- Kaiser Permanente South San Francisco (Calif.) Medical Center
- Kaiser Permanente Vallejo (Calif.) Medical Center
- Kaiser Permanente Baldwin Park (Calif.) Medical Center
- Kaiser Permanente Fontana (Calif.) Medical Center
- Kaiser Permanente Riverside (Calif.) Medical Center
- Kaiser Permanente Panorama City (Calif.) Medical Center
Partner Recognition Award
- Kaiser Permanente Eye Surgery Center Rancho Cordova (Calif.)
- Kaiser Permanente Folsom (Calif.) Ambulatory Surgery Unit
- Kaiser Permanente Folsom (Calif.) Medical Center
- Kaiser Permanente Hayward (Calif.) Medical Center
- Kaiser Permanente Irvine (Calif.) Medical Center
- Kaiser Permanente Los Angeles (Calif.) Medical Center
- Kaiser Permanente Ontario (Calif.) Medical Center
- Kaiser Permanente San Diego (Calif.) Medical Center
- Kaiser Permanente West Los Angeles (Calif.) Medical Center
- Kaiser Permanente Woodland Hills (Calif.) Medical Center
Kaiser Permanente has received awards every year since the inception of Practice Greenhealth's Environmental Excellence Awards program in 2002. In all, Kaiser Permanente has won 171 awards from Practice Greenhealth in the last 11 years.
The Practice Greenhealth Environmental Excellence Awards are being presented on April 25, 2013 in Boston at the annual CleanMed conference, the premier national environmental gathering for leaders in health care sustainability.
About Kaiser Permanente
Kaiser Permanente is committed to helping shape the future of health care. We are recognized as one of America's leading health care providers and not-for-profit health plans. Founded in 1945, our mission is to provide high-quality, affordable health care services and to improve the health of our members and the communities we serve. We currently serve more than 9 million members in nine states and the District of Columbia. Care for members and patients is focused on their total health and guided by their personal physicians, specialists and team of caregivers. Our expert and caring medical teams are empowered and supported by industry-leading technology advances and tools for health promotion, disease prevention, state-of-the-art care delivery and world-class chronic disease management. Kaiser Permanente is dedicated to care innovations, clinical research, health education and the support of community health. For more information, go to: kp.org/newscenter.
SOURCE Kaiser Permanente
More by this Source
Long-term Use of Common Heartburn and Ulcer Medications Linked to Vitamin B12 Deficiency
Dec 10, 2013, 16:17 ET
Kaiser Permanente Wins Six Awards for Digital Excellence
Dec 05, 2013, 13:00 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.