Kashi Shares Simple Ways To Be Protein-Smart Natural Food Pioneer Teams Up with Fitness and Wellness Expert Tracey Mallett to Help People Understand the Benefits of Protein
LA JOLLA, Calif., April 2, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Protein plays an important role in any healthy lifestyle. In an effort to make sure people are getting the right amount of this key nutrient needed to be at their best, Kashi, a pioneering natural food company dedicated to providing great tasting, nutritious foods, is offering tips, tools and educational resources to make protein part of their everyday, balanced nutrition.
"People often underestimate the role protein plays in leading a well-rounded, active lifestyle, which is why I'm excited to partner with Kashi to share this important message. When I eat the right amount of protein, I feel my best—alert and ready to accomplish my daily goals," shares Tracey Mallett, fitness expert and founder of The Booty Barre. "There are lots of ways to get the protein you need every day, and becoming more aware of your protein needs will help you not only feel your best but also make choices that help you stay on track to being your healthiest."
Mallett offers the following tips to make protein part of your everyday nutrition:
- Have nutritious snacks readily available. Hitting that afternoon slump and tempted to reach for not-so-nutritious chips or cookies? Pack baggies full of almonds for a portion-controlled hit of protein, or dip raw broccoli in hummus for a flavorful, crunchy afternoon snack.
- Develop weekly meal plans. It's easy to come home after work and be too tired to cook a nutritious meal for your family. Instead, try grocery shopping on Sunday and plan healthful meals for the week that include lean meats, lots of legumes and beans, and whole-grains like quinoa, which offers protein content that is superior to that of most grains, because it contains all the essential amino acids1. The leftovers can be used for lunches!
- Choose protein and good fats over low-fat or low-calorie foods. Stock cabinets full of lentils, beans, nuts, whole-grains and avocados as well as your favorite protein cereal, such as Kashi® GOLEAN®. Fill your refrigerator with wild fish, skinless chicken, broccoli, cauliflower and spinach. And have dried apricots or cherries on hand to enjoy as a snack throughout the day.
- Make sure you know your protein number. Your protein needs are as unique as you are. There are an array of tools and resources to assist you in becoming more protein-smart, such as Kashi's protein calculator. This helpful tool enables individuals to determine their unique amount of daily protein needs, and can empower you to make food choices that will benefit your overall well-being.
- Take time for you. You are important! If you don't feel your best, your family, job and kids will feel the effects. Make sure to get the positive nutrition you need, including the right amount of protein, to ensure you're at your best in all aspects of life. A healthy, balanced lifestyle comes from the inside first.
Visit www.Kashi.com to learn all about protein—find out your protein number, discover Kashi's tasty and nutritious foods, get healthy food tips and recipes and set your own goal with Kashi's customized protein planner.
About Kashi Company
Founded in 1984, Kashi dreams of a world where everyone embraces natural health. As a natural lifestyle pioneer, Kashi is passionate about and committed to improving the health of people and our planet. By providing great tasting, nutritious and innovative foods, Kashi enables people to achieve optimal health and wellness, while also leading them on a path toward embracing a natural lifestyle. Kashi also champions non-profit organizations working to keep real food in the minds and hands of communities across the country through the Kashi REAL Project. To learn more about 25 years of Kashi's mission, sustainable efforts, values and roots, visit Kashi.com.
Kashi's products are natural, minimally processed and free of highly refined sugars, artificial additives and artificial preservatives. Kashi® brands and foods include: GOLEAN® cereals and bars; Kashi® Heart to Heart® cereal, instant oatmeal and whole grain crackers; Kashi® 7 Whole Grain Puffs, Honey Puffs, Nuggets and Flakes cereals; Kashi® Good Friends® cereal; Kashi® Autumn Wheat®, Cinnamon Harvest®, Island Vanilla®, Strawberry Fields®, Simply Maize and Indigo Morning™ (organic) cereals; Kashi® Honey Sunshine® and Berry Blossoms® cereals; Kashi® Black Currant Walnut cereal; Kashi® chewy and crunchy granola bars, layered granola bars, soft-baked cereal bars, soft n' chewy bars and soft-baked squares; Kashi® snack crackers, pita crisps and cookies; Kashi® all natural frozen waffles, entrées, steam meals and pizzas; and Kashi® 7 Whole Grain Pilaf.
(1) According to USDA.gov, quinoa is a complete protein source because it contains all nine essential amino acids like meats and dairy products.
SOURCE Kashi Company