LUGANO, Switzerland, February 2, 2016 /PRNewswire/ --
ESMO, the leading European professional organisation for medical oncology, has announced the appointment of Keith Hanson McGregor as their new CEO. Dr McGregor is currently ESMO's Chief Operating Officer.
Dr McGregor joined ESMO in 2009 as Senior Director of a newly formed Business Division, in charge of developing the organisation in line with the Executive Board's strategic goals outlined in the Society's 2009-2012 Strategic Plan.
Thanks to Dr McGregor's contribution, ESMO has become one of the leading member centric oncology societies in the world. His business acumen and vision have been instrumental in facilitating the translation of the Executive Board's strategy into a practical reality. In addition to managing the commercial aspects of the business, he conceptualised and developed a wide range of new services including:
- OncologyPRO, an online professional resources portal designed by ESMO to offer its members access to the latest oncology information;
- Innovative Educational programmes, including the ESMO Preceptorship programme, which has changed the way multidisciplinary oncology education is delivered, and the ESMO Summits;
- ESMO Press, an editorial project producing over 10 educational books on a yearly basis;
- The expansion of services to the oncology community in Asia, mainly with the ESMO Asia Congress.
ESMO President, Fortunato Ciardiello, said: "Dr McGregor has a track record of successful relationships with all the Society's stakeholders as well as vast experience in developing valuable products and services for professional medical societies. The implementation of his ideas have contributed to make ESMO a Society well recognised and appreciated in the global oncology community. This is proof that he is the right person to work with the Society's Leadership to drive ESMO towards an even brighter future."
Dr McGregor was born and educated in the UK and has since worked in the UK, USA, France and Switzerland. He is a life scientist by training having obtained his PhD from the University of Leeds after which he was an academic researcher in the USA and UK for five years. Thanks to his scientific credentials he has a deep understanding of scientific issues and the challenges facing scientists and clinicians, which has earned him the esteem of all of those who work with him.
Dr McGregor has a diverse range of relevant employment experience in different sectors including the pharmaceutical industry, medical publishing, and association management. Prior to joining ESMO he worked as Director of the Scientific Division for the European Society of Cardiology in France. .
Founded in 1975, ESMO gives oncology professionals a solid platform to support optimal care for cancer patients. With over 13,000 members from more than 130 countries worldwide, ESMO serves the oncology community with:
- Post-graduate oncology education and training
- Career development and leadership training for the next generations of oncologists
- International congresses and workshops to share expertise and best practice, learn about the most up-to-date scientific advances, and connect with colleagues in related disciplines
- Continuously reviewed, evidence-based standards for cancer care
- Advocacy and consultation to foster a favourable environment for scientific research
SOURCE European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO)