KEMET Releases New UL Approved PET Sleeving UL Recognized Sleeving for Screw Terminal and Snap-in Capacitors
GREENVILLE, S.C., Aug. 14, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- KEMET Corporation (NYSE: KEM), a leading manufacturer of tantalum, ceramic, aluminum, film, paper and electrolytic capacitors, today announced its launch of a new UL approved PET sleeving solution for both snap-in and screw terminal capacitors. This release furthers KEMET's commitment to improving the safety of its components on a global basis.
Large screw terminal and snap-in electrolytic capacitors are used extensively in the alternative energy and drives markets for the conversion of energy in frequency inverters, power supplies and converters. The conversion of the energy market is governed by a number of industry standards, including UL508C and EN61800-5-1, which aim to ensure the safety of equipment. The PET sleeve is UL recognized to UL: QMTR2 (UL No. E358957). It is suitable to meet the requirements of the Power Conversion Equipment Standard UL508C, clause 17.
This sleeving solution can be applied to any new or existing custom screw terminal or snap-in capacitor design as required. It is globally available from KEMET's manufacturing facilities in either Evora, Portugal or Suzhou, China. It is an addition to the following KEMET product series: ALS30/31, ALS32/33, ALS36/37, ALS40/41, ALS42/43, ALC10/12/40/42 and PEH5xx.
UL QMTR2 Test Description [Standard]
- End Product Glow Wire (in place of HWI) on capacitor (diameter x length) with Disc 1. [UL746C, clause 73]
- HWI on material by itself [UL 746A, clause 31]
- End Product Arc Resistance (in place of HAI) on capacitor (diameter x length) with Disc 1. [UL746C, clause 11.3, 48]
- HAI on the material by itself [UL 746A, clause 32]
- CTI on the material by itself [IEC 60112]
- Volume Resistivity on the material by itself after exposure to dry conditions and Water Immersion per UL746C. [UL 746A, clause 21, UL746C, clause 58]
- Dielectric Strength - on the material by itself after exposure to dry conditions and Water Immersion per UL746C. [UL 746A, clause 20, UL746C, clause 58]
- 12mm End Product Flame (in place of HB) on capacitor (diameter x length) with Disc 1. [UL 746C, clause 15]
- HB on the material by itself [UL 94, clause 7]
- RTI - A generic rating of 105C can be assigned with no testing if PET materials are no thicker than 0.25mm [UL 746C, Table 34.1]
- Identification Scan consisting of IR, TGA, DSC [UL746A, clause 42, 45, 46]
UL- Underwriter's Laboratories
PET- Polyethylene Terapthalate
KEMET's common stock is listed on the NYSE under the symbol "KEM." At the Investor Relations section of our web site at http://ir.kemet.com/, users may subscribe to KEMET news releases and find additional information about our Company. KEMET applies world class service and quality to deliver industry leading, high performance capacitance solutions to its customers around the world and offers the world's most complete line of surface mount and through-hole capacitor technologies across tantalum, ceramic, film, aluminum, electrolytic, and paper dielectrics. Additional information about KEMET can be found at http://www.kemet.com.
Cautionary Statement on Forward-Looking Statements
Certain statements included herein contain forward-looking statements within the meaning of federal securities laws about KEMET Corporation's (the "Company") financial condition and results of operations that are based on management's current expectations, estimates and projections about the markets in which the Company operates, as well as management's beliefs and assumptions. Words such as "expects," "anticipates," "believes," "estimates," variations of such words and other similar expressions are intended to identify such forward-looking statements. These statements are not guarantees of future performance and involve certain risks, uncertainties and assumptions, which are difficult to predict. Therefore, actual outcomes and results may differ materially from what is expressed or forecasted in, or implied by, such forward-looking statements. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which reflect management's judgment only as of the date hereof. The Company undertakes no obligation to update publicly any of these forward-looking statements to reflect new information, future events or otherwise.
Certain risks and uncertainties that could cause actual outcome and results to differ materially from those expressed in, or implied by, these forward-looking statements are described in the Company's reports and filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Contact: Dr. John C. Boan
Vice President, Marketing
SOURCE KEMET Corporation